Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
7-zip

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 19:46

I need a program to unzip a file. Does anyone use 7-zip or have a different one to recommend? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 7-zip

I just found CNET's favorable review of 7-zip and am going to download it. Sorry, but in my google search I forgot to look for a review of the program!

o

I've always used WinZip although there's nothing wrong with many of the others as well. Later versions of Windows typically have support for zip files (at least to unzip them).

o

I bought the winzip license probably for windows 3.1. They requiered a new license suddenly a few years ago... after all those years wanting more money... grrrr.

So I've used 7zip for a few years. Its pretty simple freeware. Works quite well !

o

I've used 7-Zip for several years with no problems, Works fast and free is nice! I actually prefer it over WinZip from a performance and menu standpoint.

o

Depending on your Operating System (I have WinXP Pro), Zipped files can be opened by Right Click \ Extract. No need for an additional program to accomplish this task.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extract files

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here