Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use A Fax Machine to Scan to Computer

Posted by rrcrossing (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 19:46

All you Jeanyuses out there,

Got a bunch of documents I want to scan into my computer and the fax machine is a lot faster than the digital scanner. Anyone on here know of a way to hook the fax to the computer to do this.

The Fax is an HP 640 and the computer OS is WIN XP.

Thanks

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use A Fax Machine to Scan to Computer

efax.com used to have a service that would let you receive a certain number of faxes for free. I think they may still have it, but it's tough to find the link for the free version. It gives you a number to use as a fax number, and faxes sent to that number convert to email and are sent to the email address you provide. There's a limit for the free version.

Some computers have fax/modems in them, although I don't think this is as common as it used to be. If you've got that, you'd need two phone lines--one for the fax machine and one for the fax in the computer.

o

The 640 seems like a pretty basic fax machine and I don't see any description that indicates anyway to connect it to a computer.

If you are satisfied with fax quality, you can adjust the setting in scanner to replicate a fax. That might speed up the process a little.

If you have a lot of documents you may consider using a service like FedEx/Kinkos.

o

On another forum somewhere, perhaps lifehacker, I read the suggestion that one get a cheap digital camera from WalMart, photograph the documents, then with the cable provided just upload (Or is it download?) the photos to the computer.

o

Sounds like I might take the originals and put them in a file cabinet in some drop folders. Set the computer on top of the file cabinet. Done pretty fast. If I need one someday,, scan it ;)

o

Thanks for the comments and the levity. Its all appreciated.

Bob

o

A fax scan may be mostly black or white dots - no shades of gray. Because of this, text comes through ok but most illustrations and color do not - those will be blobs of black. If this is acceptable, then you can use a fax machine to scan your documents. Email the scans from your fax machine to your email address, and then download the emails into your computer. Test the fax machine for duplication quality. Many fax machines default to low resolution scans for transmission savings and speed. Inrease the resolution as needed assuming your machine is adjustable.

If you have color documents, use a scanner.

If your documents contain graphics, but gray scale is ok, use the scanner and set the output to 256 shades of gray. (Gray scale is a much smaller file size than color scans. 256 shades of gray is adequate for duplicating most black/white photos.)

o

I still cannot find where I read about using the camera but I do remember that students were using this instead of the xerox at the library as it was much cheaper than even the student rate at the copy machine and much less hassle than checking out library materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here