Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Printer Not Working Properly

Posted by mwheel (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 19:04

Would anyone have an idea why my HP printer is not printing properly? It has a new ink cartridge, but the quality of whatever is printed is so faint, it can't be read. The printer is an HP Deskjet F4100 All-in-One and is about three years old. I've bought another ink cartridge to try; if that doesn't work, I may just buy another printer. It would be more expense/trouble to try and get this one fixed than to buy a new one. I dislike being part of the "throwaway" portion of our society, but sometimes it's the easiest thing to do!

BTW, I've tried all the trouble-shooting suggestions on the HP and Windows sites. They didn't help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Printer Not Working Properly

Is it a color ink jet? Do you regularly print in color? Office or home use, heavy or light?

If black and white suits you most of the time and your use is light to medium at home, you can find a laser all-in-one at Costco, Amazon, Office Max, etc., in the $100-$150 range. I'm partial to Brother and Canon MF series, and I personally avoid HP.

If you locate it near a PC on the network (or some near the router, depending on your router), you don't need wireless capability.

Occasional color or photo printing is easily accomplished at places like Fed Ex (used to be Kinko's), drug stores, etc.,

o

I bought the cheapest HP I could find $69. It's just fine. I set it to print in black all the time. I just write an occasional list or instructions for the pc. It works as well as any HP I have had. The paper loads from the top and I was told that was better than loading the other way?????

o

Thanks to both of you for your input and suggestions. The printer is not used too much, but it's great to have it when needed. I like the suggestion of printing only in black; if I buy a new one, I'll explore that option,

I bought and inserted another new ink cartridge, and while it's not perfect, the print is much better than with the one before--which I thought was new, but maybe it's been in the carton longer than I thought, even though it was unopened. :<(

Thanks again, for responding.

o

Are you commenting on all colors pale or just documents ?

Which cartridge did you replace?

It is my recollection all HP Deskjets required the color cartridge for document printing unless the printer is configured to greyscale or black only. Not to long ago I had to replace my HP A-I-O color cartridge to print work documents I had brought home.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 14:59

o

Damccoy, it was mainly documents (black) which were so pale, they could not be read, but colors were also not as sharp as they previously were. I replaced only the black ink cartridge; the colored ink was/is used so seldom, it seems to be O.K. I'll keep your comment in my mind, so if it happens, again, I'll replace the color ink cartridge, also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here