SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hald_gw

Win8 and 8.1, and Microsoft Accounts (Kinda Long)

hald
10 years ago

Earlier today I decided to give a new Asus laptop to my niece. I spent quite a bit of time during several phone calls to Microsoft and thought I'd share what I learned.
In my situation I had already upgraded the OS to Win 8.1 last week. It required 2 phone calls to Microsoft, 1 last Wednesday, and the 2nd on Thursday. The laptop had to be left on all night and into the next day due to issues I don't fully understand. The upgrade, for some unknown reason, made it so I could only log in to the local account on the laptop, not the Microsoft online account. This led to more phone calls. The issue was never resolved. Here's a couple, things I learned:

1) Be sure and write down the product codes and keys that came with your original Win8. After the upgrade they are shown as "not available" in Control Panel, and without those Microsoft won't provide any technical support.

2) It's still unclear to me if there can be more than one Microsoft account on one computer. I had wanted to set up my niece with a Microsoft Account on the laptop, leave mine alone, and thereby avoid having to do anything more on a laptop that was already updated and I'd be giving as a gift. Depending on which Microsoft techie I talked to the answer was yes or no. None of them could give instructions as to how to do that, or definitely answer whether it is possible. It appears that it might not be possible to share a computer among several people who all have Microsoft accounts.

3) You have to have a Hotmail account to close a Microsoft account (I don't know why; ask Microsoft). I've never had a Hotmail account, only a Microsoft Outlook.com account, so after calling support, I was told I would have to set the laptop back to factory specs, start over on Win8 with a new Microsoft account for my niece, and set up Win8.1 all over again (the Asus required Microsoft to do the Win8.1 upgrade with remote tech support taking over...it took 2 days as I referred to above).

1. As is standard operating procedure, the maker of the laptop won't provide any type of support for the Operating System or the Microsoft Account, so don't bother calling them.

I'd like to be clear that I am not thoroughly upset, as I had decided I wanted to learn using Win8 and get used to it. But thanks to Microsoft there isn't any obvious way I can log in to the laptop with a Microsoft account (the laptop's Administrator Account) and so the laptop is now stuck in time, unable to install any software or change any system settings.

As you may already have guessed, the laptop is history,and is sitting in my trash bin waiting for the garbage man...Over a thousand dollars wasted....

Comments (25)