SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Mozilla Urges FireFox Downgrade !

not2bright
11 years ago

I just found this at the Make Use Of site:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mozilla-pulls-firefox-16-recommends-users-downgrade-version-15-updates/

Comments (11)

• not2bright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems that version 16.0.1 is out already. So users who have 16.0.0 can now upgrade to 16.0.1 to avoid the vulnerabilities of the former.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

FIXED
    16.0.1: Vulnerability outlined here...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/16.0.1/releasenotes/

• grandms
    11 years ago

Yesterday I kept trying to update my FF browser and kept getting the message that I had the latest version: 15.0.1. Haven't checked today, so maybe that was the reason it wouldn't let me get the update.

• grandms
    11 years ago

I just opened FF and checked, and it definitely wanted me to update to version 16.0.1. So the job is done. ;)

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

For some years, Firefox has been Alternative Choice #1 to use instead of Internet Explorer.

Google's Chrome seems to have taken the #1 Alternative honor from Firefox. Personally, I like it much better. It seems to be faster, more stable, and more minimalistic in appearance and menu structure. I think the Firefox org has gotten tired, they seem to have had more problems than innovative break-throughs in recent times.

If you're interested in looking at something different, Chrome is worth a try.

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

I don't like Opera. I don't like Chrome. I am not excited about IE either. My main browser is FF, and perhaps the add-ons move me that way some. If I had to pick a number one alternative to FF it would be Slimbrowser.

All-in-all they are so much the same.

FF has seemed to have lost some consumer confidence ever since it went to the rapid rate release development a couple of years ago.

DA

• not2bright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If NoScript were adapted for Chrome & Opera I might use one of those. I do use them once in a while, but since the only NoScript-type add-ons for those other browsers can't quite measure up to NoScript's quality, I stick with FF for most of my online 'work.' :-)

In any case, I'm glad Mozilla got the update to version 16 out so quickly.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Mine updated to 16.0.1 no problems.
    I have tried all of the ones mentioned and a few more including those for linux but I remain with firefox and I agree it is because of the wonderful add ons that I just don't want to be with out. I depend on so many of them daily.
    On my android devices I use a few different browsers, firefox being one, opera mini, dolphin HD, and the stock browser, etc.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

DA said "All-in-all they are so much the same.

FF has seemed to have lost some consumer confidence ever since it went to the rapid rate release development a couple of years ago."

Agree, agree. Maybe Firefox has lost some QC in the process?

I was having random stability problems with Firefox, including whole machine freeze-ups, odd behavior, crashes. Different machines with different users and not all the same Win versions. I deleted Firefox, put Chrome in a prominent position, and all is well. I had no compelling reason to keep it and have found with regular use I like Chrome better. Everyone has a different experience.

Android-wise, I just use whatever was bundled with it, it seems fine. I always try to use purpose-built apps more than the browser anyway.

• grandms
    11 years ago

I've been using Chrome as my default browser for several years now but do use FF on occasion, so I keep both up to date. One thing I initially liked about Chrome was the fact that I didn't need so many add-ons for some of the same basic operations that required an add-on in FF. Also, I have always liked the minimalistic, uncluttered look of Chrome. IE is there, of course, for MS updates, but basically that is all. I'm happy to see that Chrome has gained a good share of the browser market. I used Opera for a short while, but it just couldn't hold up against Chrome and FF. My opinion, and I'll stick to it!!!

• evenshade
    11 years ago

After reading the posts here, I downloaded Chrome. I'm devoted to Firefox, but saying that....I'm a Pinterest fan and I'm amazed at how much more quickly the pages load on Chrome than on FF.