Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
printer doesn't want to print

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 17:56

First I hope this isn't a duplicate posting. I posted earlier but can't seem to find it.

Anyway.....My hp photosmart printer doesn't want to print now. I had a paper jam yesterday which I cleared and then the cartridge slide bar seemed to be stuck. I turned it off and then on several times, the slide bar did move. I unplugged and replugged, rebooted the computer, tried to print from Word, (it was a web page I was trying to print originally)....and nothing. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? I was trying to find a solution on the HP Help but it was just too much information for me.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: printer doesn't want to print

Does it say the paper is still jammed? Does it say out of paper? Does it try to do anything at all? I know my HP is very finicky about having the paper loaded just so. Try to print ONE PAGE with only ONE PIECE of paper in the printer and see if it acts any different.

o

Nothing....is says on the display "hp photosmart" When I turn off the power it does say "shutting down", and if the cover is open it will say so. I tried printing this response...nothing.

o

I see an ad at the bottom of this page for tech support at HP.Just Answer.com.....Has anyone used this service? Is it safe and does it work. Do you think they can solve my problem?

o

Go to HP's website and click on Support. Then enter your information----printer model, etc. You can get into an online help chatline with a tech, and often get the help you need. It's been a long time since I used this, but I found it very helpful when I had a problem.

o

Can you go into the HP toolbox and print a test page?

DA

o

Have you tried unplugging the printer (from the back, not the PC) and plugging it back in; if you still see the message, take out the cartridge, put it back and see if that fixes it.

I have a HP printer. It can be finicky sometimes. My biggest fault with it is it sometimes insists it wants to send a fax. I don't even have the fax part installed.

HTH

Sue

o

I was able to print a test page using the buttons on the printer. I have this thing hooked up with a router. Could that be the problem. I didn't have problems with it before...only after clearing the paper jam. Doesn't make sense that the router would be the problem now. Still can't get it to print from the computer.

o

My understanding is that you could actually print a test page with the printer even if it wasn't connected to a computer. You need to try the test page via the Toolbox on the computer. That will test the handshake between the printer and computer.

DA

o

"I have this thing hooked up with a router"

Is this a wireless printer hookup you have?
When it worked before was it hard wired to the computer?
How about a model number?

o

The printer is model HP photosmart 7350. There are two cord in the back of the printer. One is the power cord the other is going to the wireless router. It is not hard wired to the computer..I am using a laptop so it was never hard wired to any computer. Where do I find the Toolbox on the computer?

o

Take a look on the Start Menu. You will most likely see a HP entry. Click on it and it will expand. If it doesn't specifically show the Toolbox click on the Solution Center>Settings>Printer Toolbox.

I really hope for you to check the total handshake between the printer and the system, but if you fail to locate the Toolbox via the above, START>Printers>right click on the target printer>Properties>General tab>Print test page.

DA

o

Mine would print a test page, but not anything else. I downloaded a fix, but it didn't work for me. A tech downloaded the same fix and it worked for her. She used a different browser. The fix assigned the printer to a new port.

o

damccoy, I did not see a HP entry in the start menu. I tried the second choice. I did find the Print Test Page...nothing printed. I checked my router to be sure it is plugged in etc. all seems to be ok. We recently moved all our computer equipment around due to a remodel and we bought a new 6 ft cord to go from the router to the printer now that it is in a drawer. We checked everything and all seems ok. I don't understand how clearing a paper jam could cause such a problem. It does appear that the connection between the computer and printer is broken. But how do I fix that.

o

Try Printing a self-test report Right from the printer

1 Press Menu on the printer.
2 Press the Right arrow to display the Tools menu.
3 Press the Down arrow to highlight Print a Test Page.
Press Select

If you can't get the printer to print a test page then something is wrong with the printer mechanically.

See link for more,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01940582&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=72885&p

o

Kathieo, "I was able to print a test page using the buttons on the printer."

I referred her to the system portal to test the handshake between the system and the printer. She used the alternative direction and her attempt failed.

As I continue to think about this concern: When attempting to remove the paper jam did you push the carriage for the ink cartridges to the side in either direction?

DA

o

damccoy, no I didn't have to push the carriage for the ink cartridges, it was over enough for me to just pull the paper out. however, once I did that and turned the printer off/on the carriage did seem to move more slowly. But with all the testing the carriage does seem to be moving correctly now. It did print that test page using the buttons on the printer.

o

hello again....I've been away for a couple of days so now I am back to my printer problem. Do you think I should uninstall the printer and reinstall it? Would that work? I'm not really sure how to reinstall it, but I think I know how to remove it.

o

That might be a good option right now. Do you have the installation instructions that came with it? There is probably a CD that contains the drivers. With HP printers it is very important to do things in the exact order given; ie installing the software, connecting to the computer, etc.

o

Yes I have the CD. I already removed it from my computer and I've been trying to reinstall it. It is not going well. The install wizard asks for a name of the printer...HP photosmart is not what they are looking for. So I'm stuck. I selected local printer but it is telling me to plug in the printer to the computer with a usb plug but it is connected to a router. I don't have a printer cord with the usb plug. What do I need to do now. I'm thinking this is more than I could handle. Maybe I need professional help? My daughter in law tried to show me using the add/remove but of course it didn't go as it did on her new computer. There were more steps that I didn't know how to answer.

I put the CD in the computer and it ran and installed but I don't know where to go from here.

o

I worked on 2 HP wireless printers when the owners could not get connected and both were a curse to correct and connect.

Before you spend big bucks on a professional helper you should consider buying a cable and hooking up the printer. Then get it running there and after remove the cable and seek the printer.

With HP you should not have the printer connected or switched on until told to do so during the install process.

o

I have a cord that connected the printer to the router. Would the same cord work for connecting the printer to the computer? It has a usb plug and a smaller square plug.

o

Small square plug connects to printer, USB to computer. Go ahead and connect it and see if works, if it does not work first time reboot the computer while it's connected and then see.

o

Hi All....thanks to all your info I was able to reinstall my printer using a cord. I was able to print the test page no problems.....so now the question is how do I reconnect it to my wireless router. Is there more involved than just unplugging it from the computer and replugging it to the router?

I am so happy to have my printer back without having to have someone come and do it for me.

Thank you, Thank you to all to offered solutions.

o

I was so excited I couldn't even type. I'm sure you got the message....Thanks

o

I was just going to close out for the night and I turned off the printer. I got a message saying the computer lost connection to the printer. I quickly turned the printer back on and it reconnected. Does this mean I have to leave the printer on all the time. I usually turn it off to save energy. I never saw that message before when I had it hooked up to the router and turned the printer off. I'd hate to loose my printer again.

o

When a printer powers off, it looks to a computer like the printer was disconnected. Turn the printer back on, and the computer should see a printer.

Your printer (as I understand it) is normally connected via an Ethernet wire to the router. So that printer is accessed by all computers. That connection was lost.

A printer can also connect via a USB. Connected that way is a temporary solution. Now let's actually solve the problem rather then use the temporary workaround.

Everything has been 'try this' or 'maybe it was that'. Actions based in speculation. Do that enough times and something will eventually work maybe weeks later. Disconnect the printer's USB connection. Connect the printer via its Ethernet wire. When the printer is connected and powered, a light on the router will illuminate. When the printer is powered off, that router light goes off. If a powered on printer is disconnected, that light goes off. The light is a powerful tool reporting that the printer's computer is talking to a computer inside the router. This I an example of breaking a problem down into parts. Then step by step confirming each part (to avoid confusion).

If computers are talking, then move on to the next step. Good diagnostic procedure is about establishing what is and is not working in a systematic way.

Because your printer is from a better company, then that company provides diagnostics to see what is and is not working. Go to the HP web site. Download a program called HP Printer Diagnostic Utility or HPPDU.EXE. That program was written so that you can solve problems without speculation and confusion. It will report what HP printers are connected where. Other information that, if you do not understand it, is probably reporting what is most important. So post those facts here. Then others who better know this stuff can finally contribute. So that you have immediate and useful assistance.

Also find another HP diagnostic called HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility or HPHNDU.EXE. This tool may identify this or other problems unknown and maybe related to your HP printer problems. But more important, those with better knowledge can finally help you.

Hard facts from the lights and from diagnostics mean a problem that took over a week to only bypass, instead, can be identified and solved in less than an hour. Future problems that have not yet cropped up might also be identified and solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here