SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Java Problems - can't access, can't uninstall

lynnalexandra
11 years ago

I think my problems started after updating Java (to version 7 u 9) on Thursday. I was not able to run a streaming stock application that I usually can run. (Windows XP, Firefox).

The Ameritrade website ran a compatibility check and reported that the java plugin might not be configured properly. It suggested going to the control panel - clicking Java Plug-in - clicking the browser table to make sure the appropriate boxes fro teh browser I use are checked.

But when I went to the control panel and clicked the java icon, nothing happened. I can't get Java to open. I used Javara to uninstall old programs - but when I use it to search for new programs, there does not seem to be a version for a 32-bit Windows XP system.

Anyway - Ameritrade next suggested that the java plug-in might be corrupted - and to click the java plug-in to untinstall. But again, nothing happens when I click the java icon on the control panel.

Then ameritrade said that if I'm using Firefox, I might also need to uninstall and reinstall firefox in order to reinstall Java. (I should know this by now, but I have no idea where to go to uninstall firefox - and where I'd go to reinstall. What's the order of operations for that?)

I have a vague recollection that Winpatrol might have warned me about a start up program (which may have been java) and I hastily said not to let it run at start up. I am wondering if this is my problem. And if so, how do I undo it.

I also tried to run the online secunia scan - and it said that the java applet might not be running in my browser. Check to see if Java is installed - and if it is, click ok to continue. I did not click okay to continue bc. it does seem I'm having some type of Java problem - I just don't know what and how to fix it.

I did go the control panel - and see the the following Java programs.:

java 7 Update 9 (which I believe is the current version). When I click for more information, it says "used rarely." Does this mean this is that it never installed properly? I did trying clicking the downloaded Java 7update9 program again to see if it would install properly - but nothing happened.

I also have the Java auto updater and

Java (TM) 6 update 29 (which also says rarely used).

So I don't know how to proceed? Do I try to uninstall all three Java programs from add-remove programs? Should I download a new version first? If so, can somebody provide a link since I can't find one for Windows XP 32-bit?

Is Firefox even an issue here? Will I need to uninstall and reinstallFF?

Thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (9)