SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
36shirl

Replacing laptop battery questions

shirl36
9 years ago

We have a 2011 Dell Inspiron 17, N1070, XP os laptop.

Most all the time when in use it connected to AC current, battery has seldom run down.

A few months ago started receiving messages, "you need to replace your battery", then more messages "you Need to replace battery soon". Computer stilled worked. A few days ago while using it began to act strange, went blank and black. Shut off and rebooted. Message came up "plugged in and not recharging" but computer would work with message popping up. Gave that message for about 3 days and then just this am I checked battery status and it said" 63% full and charging, soon it read 100% charged.

Again I am saying this laptop seldom used by battery only, usually connected to AC current.

Yesterday began to check in on a new battery. Dell says to use only a Dell replacement battery, and I must order from Dell as cannot not find in retail stores near. A battery store has a Ray O Vac one to fit and they guarantee it would work. We came home without, had to think.

My Questions:

1- Do I need to replace with a Dell or would the other brands
work as well? Is replacements that are offered on Amazon
and other websites okay to order?

2- Learned there were 6 cell and 9 cell batteries. which would be
better, still going to use mostly with AC current. (I need to
check this battery out for cell size, I will do).

3- Is this battery really as dead as the messages says it is after
using so much with AC or is this a scare tactic message from Dell because of the age. 3 1/2 years is really pretty good for a
battery.

Any advice or comments on this subject is very much appreciated.
We are very very Senior Citizens trying to stay in the game but get so tried of all the new learning and changes. Our minds just spins sometimes. I spend considerable time on the Cooking Forum and
have learned so much there, lurked here lots just reading and absorbing the posts, my first to post here.

Thank you in advance.

Shirl

Comments (7)