Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
desktop vs laptop

Posted by angie1010 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 16:31

My desktop (all in one) needs to be replaced. Should I get a desktop with a tower, all in one again, or a laptop? Would like whichever is better for versatility. Thanks. Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: desktop vs laptop

It all depends on you. I prefer a tower in my office, my office is a very nice place to be. I don't like to type on a laptop. As far as the tower and all in one, according my information the tower is cooler so will probably last longer.

o

So much depends on how you like to work or play. Like Emma I much prefer a desktop computer, I find messing about with a laptop on my knees in an armchair nothing but aggravation. Others have a totally different idea on that score, my grand kids all seem to sit like Indian fakirs crosslegged on the sofa with laptops totally relaxed.

If you check store shelves you might notice a more limited choice of desktops compared to laptops.

I have 2 laptops, one was a gift the other a freebie and neither see the light of day too often. Every few months I drag them out to update them, nothing else.

o

I like both a desktop and a laptop.

For my office, I plan on always having a tower computer with a separate monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. At one time, I considered purchasing an all-in-one, but after an extensive review/research decided the all-in-one would not be optimal.

For my bedroom, I have a laptop with connection to the internet available via a wireless network through my office desktop.

o

Should have added that if I could have only one computer, it would be the desktop.

o

If you connect a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse to a laptop, it becomes a desktop. A desktop that becomes a laptop when you pull out three plugs.

For a desktop, I prefer the All in ones. They take up less room and have a cleaner, cord-free appearance (because they come with wireless keyboards and mice).

o

I have a very nice Sony Vaio all-in-one with a 24" screen, which has given me good service for 5 years. However, the one disadvantage is that, if something fails -- like the screen -- the repair cost could be a lot higher than simply replacing the standalone monitor for your desktop. Also, it's essentially impossible to upgrade parts inside the case, and replacement of a failed component would require taking it to a shop. I really like my all-in-one, but may not get another when it's time for a new computer.

o

Thank you for your advice. I think I will go with a desktop with a tower.

o

Never heard of a user dropping a desktop.

DA

o

Went to a spiderman website and they had some hi res pics of newest movie with Jamie foxx. 1 pic was of Peter Parker's room at home. Shows his desk quite well. He had a LCD monitor in view but it did not look like an all in one unit pc and I did not see any tower near desk. Whew. Talk about fanboy gripes.

o

"Never heard of a user dropping a desktop"

I've seen it myself - at work, I saw a desktop slip off a cart while being moved.

o

Abstract to what I was referring to.

DA

o

Posted by snidely (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 13:29

If you connect a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse to a laptop, it becomes a desktop. A desktop that becomes a laptop when you pull out three plugs.

I have this arrangement using a TV, a wireless keyboard and a laptop. When I go to the hospital, as I often do, I just take the laptop. (It was once cheaper, and may still be cheaper, to get an e-machine tower and a wireless keyboard and use the TV screen. But this lacks the portability of the laptop..)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here