Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GardenWeb needs your feedback!

Posted by gwAnnouncements (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 15:50

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey
GardenWeb Community Manager

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GardenWeb needs your feedback!

I can live with the ads at the top-bottom-side of the page. Any other ads or survey requests I view as intrusive and I can promise you I will never patronize any of those advertisers.

o

After making a post or a reply and posting it,
currently you are taken to a page that says something like:

Use this link to see your entry listed in the Computer Help Forum.

or

Use this link to see your follow-up to the original message.

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Why not just return to the forum automatically and skip this step.

Pooh Bear

o

The ability to edit would be nice - providing there was a note indicating an edit had been performed. If that becomes a reality also do not allow a post to be deleted, that is a dreadful state on a few forums.

The change you have made allowing a second post soon after a first post in a thread is a good move already in place.

o

I second the ability to edit. At least until the post has been replied to.

Also, here in the Computer Help forum, folks often don't know to provide OS, browser, version, add-ons, etc. A signature with the poster's "User Agent String" might be useful.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0

o

Why not just pay us maybe a penny for every two advertisements we see. And a full penny for clicking on one up to a max i guess of a nickle a day total to keep the advertisement abusive clickers from getting sore fingers. Let us choose who to donate our earnings to some unique needy charities.

o

Ads usually don't bother me and I don't run ad blocking and you do have to make your money no sweat on that, but the ads that move the entire page down than up make me sea sick. Now you've got em coming on in the middle of the page and greying out the page. Sprucing up? For us? Really!

This site is the absolute total worst for ads and you want suggestions? No you don't.

o

An electronics forum for cell phones, tablets, etc.

o

Another plea for a self editing feature.
------------------------------------------
A second to auto-return to the same thread after posting.
------------------------------------------
How about a "Skip to new post" at the top of the thread or better yet, a revamp of the forum page, where any threads that have new posts since my last visit are marked, and automatically clickable to the first unread post.
As it is now, having to search every thread to see where I left off (or even see if there are any new posts) is very tiresome.
-----------------------------------------
Signatures are great, but in my experience, it's hard to get people who should use them, use them. And then people have multiple computers that could become confusing if that information were supplied. What about, for this computer forum only:
When you go to post a message, there are two message boxes:
--- First, a small, optional box to fill out basic computer info - make, model, OS. This would prompt all those who conveniently "forget" when that info is necessary.
--- Second, the normal message box.

----------------------------------------

I don't mind the non-glitzy view format at all. But a lot of the "guts" can be improved.

o

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Tamara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here