Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend a good PDF editor

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 15:48

My job requires I fill out many forms (bid documents). They are usually a PDF form (not editable) which must be printed out out, typed on a typewriter and filled back in. Then I have to scan them for my files. Very time consuming.

Even the PDF's that are true forms always say "you can fill it out but it cannot be saved."

I am looking for a good PDF editor -- I expect to have to pay for it so I won't be shocked at that.

I want to be able to fill out a form on the PDF and then save it as a PDF again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend a good PDF editor

Ok -- I expect to pay but the trial version I just used wants $79.99! (Wondershare PDF editor).

I was thinking more like $30 or less.

o

I don't have use for one myself, so can't recommend one.

However, I see a free one recommended right here in the forum that might just be what you're looking for, and save you some money too. :)

o

Can either of you tell me the difference between a word document and a pdf document. I googled it and it just talked about the formats, the form in which it is saved. what I want to know is what is the difference in using word versus pdf documents.

o

I probably can't, but I'll try anyway. :)

Using this page as a cheat-sheet: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Acrobat.htm

A word document, or any word processor file, is meant to be easily editable. The problem is that it can also display a bit differently depending of what machine you view it on.

A PDF(Portable Document Format) on the other hand uses means to assure that the document displays exactly the same from machine to machine, hence it is more "Portable". But that portability comes at a cost, you lose the ability to easily edit the file.

Does that make sense or am I being overly simplistic?

o

Yes it does and thank you. I just thought that word documents would be a more universal document as far as reading it goes.

o

Adobe Acrobat is the standard for editing PDFs, but you did say, "Recommend a GOOD PDF editor".

For the reasons chuggerguy mentioned, no such beast exists. For your use, however, it will at least allow you to put an editable text box in empty spaces left for writing. It's pretty awkward, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here