Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uninstall program

Posted by 715rose (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 15:02

Yesterday,while googling "how to locate driver for my printer,
I found help via a tutorial. Real legit looking,like from Microsoft & HP."You can find driver & install the hard way & risk screwing up computer" "or do it the easy way.Click here ".Like a dummy,I clicked.I realized my mistake soon as I see "click here for complete scan of your PC."
This is installed & I cannot remove it. If I try to uninstall
it says "caution you will be removing all drivers on this computer.This scares me & I hit cancel It is called Utilities Driver Update ,.Co. is SlimWare
How can I get this off?
Doris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uninstall program

First try running a full scan with malwarebytes and also with superantispyware.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware

Then also check in your add remove programs to see if you see it listed there to do a removal.

o

"In March 2010, SlimWare Utilities was made a Microsoft Certified Partner. The partner certification is a network of approved manufacturers and developers to which Microsoft has granted exclusive access to developmental resources. The certification is used as a way to highlight programs that are specially made to work with Widows Operating systems and that meet the standards of programs considered to be safe, effective and beneficial by Microsoft."

See link. Is that the program that's installed?

http://www.pcmag.com/ticle2/0,2817,2390852,00.asp#fbid=q9KLFsoNRj2a

Here is a link that might be useful: SlimWare Utilities

o

zep I am getting a dead link for your link and the address too.

o

New link

Here is a link that might be useful: pc mag

o
More

Should be a legit program. Not sure why it's saying that it will "uninstall all drivers from this machine" I think it scans for outdated drivers or something.

o

I would question where you got it from and could it be a type of rogue or have something that came with it. I looked up reviews for that driver update program and there are a lot of negatives on it, most say not worth it.
I am not familiar with it at all.

I don't use any type of driver update program myself.

o

SlimDrivers
I use often.. I do check what it wants to update.
Good freeware driver updater, but not infallible.

o

Everyone, This is what Zep showed.I was able to uninstall in my programs list.But it is still on my bottom right bar. If I click, there is an uninstall option. If I click uninstall,a box saying Do you want to uninstall drivers? This will cause your entire computer to stop functioning. Yes or No. Of course I hit no. I just got my computer working well LOL.
So,the burning question is,should I click yes?
Doris

o

Leave it alone for now. Is there any way you can give me the download link so I can download it and fool with it. Can you see the file running in the task manager? I'd love to see the name of it.

o
Listproccess

If you can't tell what file it is in the task manager, would you follow the directions below:

Listproccess
A very small program that simply lists the processes that Task Manager lists, including the full path name so you can see what program they are part of.

Download ListProcesses for Windows from here Click Here when the box opens, click on save file, save it to the desktop, once there double click and choose run.

Once it opens select Get List at the top in red. Then at very bottom on left click Copy. Then come back here to this thread and right click in the reply box and choose paste. That will copy the list to the forum so we can see the process running.

o

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IELowutil.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky PURE\avp.exe
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Users\User\Downloads\ListProcesses.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe

o

Those are all normal. I was hoping to see an exe that would be related to the Icon you have by the clock.

Is there a way you can provide a link to what you downloaded? So I can download it too.

o

Gotta ask this one. Have you rebooted the system since you did the uninstall? I ask as the uninstaller from some applications require a restart to complete the removal process.

Download and install WinPatrol. Review the reports on the Startup and Services tabs. Pay close attention for software entries in the Title column which include wording as to the application of concern and the word tray. Do not delete any entries only disable them. I share this as there might be an orphan entry remaining from the uninstall.

Finally, if you use CCleaner run the Registry Tool. After the report is complete check for any application orphan entries. Do not remove them at this time. Just jot them down and share them on your thread.

DA

o

I want to thank everyone for giving me ideas on removing this. Actually,I probably removed it myself.dammcoy hit it! I had failed to reboot after doing the uninstall. Failing to reboot was the issue in some of my other computer troubles. So,I learned good lessons from all of you. Doris

o

Good for you Doris. As complex as system concerns can be, every once in a while it is just a simple remedy.

And before I forget, as always you are welcome.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here