Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Try to fix or just do a system restore?

Posted by lotodig (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 14:39

I have just days ago updated my Firefox to the version 6 and then on to 7. I"ve spent days off and on tweaking and adjusting all the settings and Add on's that I like.

I was trying to do some updates on some other programs and thought I would try the Secunia program. Well, all seemed ok except that the program did not recognize that I had Firefox 7.01 installed. It was listed Firefox 3.6 and was in the "insecure " and "apply update" list. Here's the problem..somehow Secunia reverted my Firefox back to the earlier version 3.6. I noticed that my fonts and toolbars were totally different so I checked the Firefox version and sure enough the version was 3.6.

I know to just go and redo the firefox update, but when I got to the point to do the install it gives a choice of STANDARD or CUSTOM options. Which one should I choose to make sure that all the settings are replaced that I have spent days adjusting and tweaking.

should I trust that all the settings will be the new ones like I had them in the 7.01 version or do a system restore.

I have HP Pavilion 64,Vista, FF, IE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Try to fix or just do a system restore?

You could try a System Restore and see what happens, remember you can always un-do the restore point and go back to where you were, one of the great features of System Restore. Go ahead and try it. I'll help you un-do it if it's not successful.

If you tried using System Restore to fix a problem but the problem remained or other problems were introduced, you can undo the restore operation.

See link for additional infor on the above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Un do System Restore instructions

o

Thanks zep, I'll do the system restore, keep my fingers crossed.

o

zep, I did a system restore but when the computer rebooted and the desktop came back I tried to open a web page but nothing will connect in FF. Even in the start menu it will not open when i click on the FF icon. So I have lost the whole FF set up.

I am here thanks to my IE browser, thank goodness I have that.

Would appreciate advice about what to do next...undo restore or just do another FF7 install and hope the new install will pick up all my hard earned settings I had on FF 7 before this happened.

o

Undo the restore point, lets put the computer back to where it was and then look at the Firefox issue.

o

OK did the UNDO SYSTEM RESTORE. I am back on FF3.6.23. Looks like where I am when I first posted, which is good I hope.

o

install it gives a choice of STANDARD or CUSTOM options.

Can you do the Custom install now?

o

FF custom ... its simple,, just shows you what its going to do.. no major choices that would confuse.

o
RE: system restore?

yes I did the custom install, and now have FF7.01. Some of the toolbar settings have carried through, most have not...only 3 add ons came through.

Do you know of any way to find the list of add ons that I had so I can just hopefully enable them?

I sure hate the thought of going through all that again. Things like this are what makes me say I live in the land of "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT." But that would be too easy wouldn't it.

thanks for your guidance...

o

You could look in the add / on list an see what's there.

Click>Tools in the browser then click >ADD / ONS.

o

I have done that, i'll do some googling and research to see if I can find a way to recover everything before I start over doing them one by one.

o

Here's a start for some add / ons

Here is a link that might be useful: addons.mozilla.org

o

If I had that much trouble with FF, I'd just abandon it and use another browser. Have you tried Chrome or Opera? I've had very good luck with FF and Chrome. I don't use but a couple of add-ons, so I haven't had your problems. What I like about Chrome is that you don't need so many add-ons.

o

ya know I thought about that but then it seems it would be just as easy to redo something i'm familiar with than to set up a whole new browser. BUT,when I get back on track I am going to install Chrome and see how it compares to FF, then the next time stuff likes this happens it's by by FF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here