Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Sound and Add-on setting at YouTube

Posted by deew (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 13:48

Yesterday I downloaded a couple of songs from YouTube. Today when I went back to download some more, there was no sound on YT at all. I went to several other sites and they had sound.
To test the YT sound, I downloaded a song I have had on my computer for a long time. When it finished, I opened it, and it had sound.

I also noticed that one of my Firefox add-ons doesn't work on YT, either. I have No Squint, and once you set it like you want it, the setting is remembered at each site. All the other sites are fine, but YT doesn't remember.

Does anyone know what could be blocking the sound and add-on only at YouTube?

I have Win7, Firefox 24, and I use Freemake to download at YT.

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Sound and Add-on setting at YouTube

Strangely I had that experience 2 days ago and jumped into panic mode.

But on inspection I found that particular video had the sound setting to off. Look in the lower left corner of the video area for the volume control. Hopefully it will be that easy.

o

Thanks, owbist, but that didn't work for me. Still no sound on several videos I tried and no add-on memory.

Dee

o

I played around with the sound button and finally got it to work. However, it resets itself back to no sound for every video I go to, so I have to reset the sound each time. That still isn’t right, and I still have no add-on memory. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow.

Dee

o

From https://support.google.com/youtube/known-issues/16903?hl=en:

"We're currently working to resolve an issue where videos start playing with the sound muted by default. As we investigate, please try adjusting the volume slider in the bottom left corner of the video player to enable sound. Alternatively, you can try viewing the video in HTML5 by opting into the HTML5 trial http://www.youtube.com/html5."

o

Thanks for the info, chuggerguy. I'm glad it's them and not me going crazy.

Dee

o

Same here with W7 and FF25 beta.
Seemed to happen about the same time I reactivated my long dormant HP update function and downloaded video related updates earlier in the week. Could be coincidental.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here