Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on upgrading/changing these programs

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 13:20

I have CC Cleaner, Super Anti Spyware and malwarebytes . Do I need all these, which in your opinion is better, should I have any paid versions. I did read some of the articles from PC magazine on one of the recent postings (Snidley's I think), and saw some interesting details.
Since Dale passed away I am really at a loss on computer stuff. Is there a program or class etc I can take to learn more? Also, he never put Windows 7 in so if this computer goes down, I will have to go to somplace like Office Max, Staples and buy a whole new system We only have two computer stores in Minot and I don't know anything about either. I have XP and boxes of stuff he has bought over the years that I do not have a clue what to do with, or even know what they are and many are still in the original packing. No I cannot return anything, but would like to give them to someone who can use them. Have asked several but don't even know how old they are.
Thanks for being so patient, I am still learning at my age
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on upgrading/changing these programs

Marie Ccleaner uses no resources until you run the program. Yes, you can get rid of it and use the disk cleaning tool provided with Windows but why? Ccleaner simply does a better job and nothing apart from a very small amount of space on your hard drive will be gained.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware both do basically the same job so if you wished one could go. Again both these programs sit idle until you decide to update then run a scan with one or the other. Which is best? No idea really, much like the Ford and GM quandary, personal preference.

By "boxes of stuff" do you mean computer parts? Was hubby a self builder? You could ask around for a high school student who might be interested in the parts, perhaps they have an IT teacher who could point you to a youth who would appreciate those things.

Be sure to look carefully at any CD or DVD and keep the XP program installed on that computer plus any other paid for programs. Feel free to run a list on here, someone will be able to help identify anything you may be unsure of.

Regarding lessons, is there something in particular you wish to learn? You can Google practically anything you wish to know and there are thousands of great tutorials both in text format and on Youtube. It is just a question of phrasing queries according to your requirements.

o

I use both malwarebytes and super anti spyware, simply because super anti gets rid of junk from my retail games that malwarebytes misses. I like both and they are not hurting anything. I use MS security essentials for my anti virus software. And ccleaner, especially for saving cookies that I use to log in with..

This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:50

o

Keep SAS and MWB as no application is certified as perfect. Having two quite capable applications available in case of trouble is really a smart idea. Tiered protection is always recommended. Just keep them both updated, and use one at a time.

CC does a much better job cleaning than Windows Disk Cleaner.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here