Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
microsoft word

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 12:43

I have a laptop (vista) with Microsoft 2003. I recently purchased a new laptop (windows 7)that has Microsoft 2010. I hate the new Word program. Can I use my disc for 2003 and install it in my new computer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: microsoft word

Some MS Office Home and Student versions allow you to install them on more than one computer. Others do not. If you have a version that has already been installed on the allowed number of computers you cannot install it on another. Word 2010 isn't that different from 2007. You should get used to it pretty soon. I use both on different computers along with word 97 on another with no problem. Any particular feature of word 2010 you don't like?

o

I have Microsoft 2003 and I find it very different. I can't even find spell check.

o

I don't know why I read your message to say you had Word 2007. I forget a lot of things nowadays but usually read more carefully than that. In word 2010 if you click the review tab the option to check spelling and grammar is at the left hand side of the ribbon. Is this what you're looking for?

o

What is it you hate about it. I was so used to MS Works I hated Word. The auto corrections was what I disliked the most but found a way to stop it and change other things that I didn't like.

o

I'm guessin that your new computer has a 'trial version'
of the program you dislike. It will stop working after
90 days.

o

The direct answer to your question is "yes". Word 2003 is 32 bit whereas Word 2010 is 64 bit but Word 2003 is compatible on the 64 bit system.

Anne

o

Can I use my disc for 2003 and install it in my new computer?
Yes! I am using Word 2002 on my xp desktop which came with it and I installed it on my Win7 64 bit laptop with no problem.
I just purchased an Acer netbook, bought an external USB DVD drive to install Word also on that with no problem. It came with a free word starter for me to use but it had ads on the right side taking up space so I deleted it off and am now using MS Word.

o

Somewhere along the line Microsoft started requiring that MS Office be activated. I have never had MS Office 2003 so I do not know if it requires activation or not. If it does and has already been activated on the number of computers it is licensed for it will run for a limited time - I think 30 days - without activation. If the version on your new computer is a trial version then it will only run for a limited time.

o

Microsoft Office 2010 has both 32bit and 64bit versions. Microsoft recommended that you install 32bit version even though you may have 64bit OS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here