Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Word/Excel Files Open in Viewer Mode - MS Office Std Edition 2003

Posted by daltex (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 12:14

When I receive a file (both xls and doc) created by someone else or open a file stored on my system, it initially opens in "viewer" mode only, whereby I can't edit/save the file. I DO KNOW I can go to file/open for editting and a new copy will open that I can edit. Somehow a setting has changed (after someone worked on my PC), since I previously could open up a file and edit/save immediately.

I have tried searching tools/options and any other area, but I must be overlooking where I need to make the change ... Can anyone provide some guideance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Word/Excel Files Open in Viewer Mode - MS Office Std Edition

Use Windows Explorer. Right-click the filename, then select Properties. Is the file marked as "read-only"? If yes, uncheck it...click APPLY, then OK. Did that make a difference?

o

I followed your suggestion on a file saved to my system and the file did not have the "read only" box checked, but when I open it ... it defaults to "file viewer" mode.

When I try the same action on a file sent to me, selection of properties does not show the check boxes for read only, etc.

o

When you open the file, look at the yellow band near the top of the screen. Locate a boxed phrase saying "Enable editing" toward the right. Click it.

o
RE: Word/Excel Files Open in Viewer Mode -- MS Office Std Edition

I truly appreciate azinoh and you trying to help. I do not see the yellow band, nor the "enable editing", so are you sure your version is Office Std 2003 and not a "newer" version?

o

A stretch here, but did you check the file associations?

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here