Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enabling Add-Ons in Firefox?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 12:06

I disabled add-ons in Firefox with the idea that it might help a sluggish system (help-then clicking disable option on drop down menu). It didn't help, and now I want to re-enable them. However, I can't seem to figure out how to do it. The same help-drop down menu only shows the option to disable, not enable. Help please? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enabling Add-Ons in Firefox?

I just looked at them and they have changed it a bit. Which were looking at?

In appearance you can only have one on so you just enable the new one. In the plug ins the drop down arrow is always activate or never activate. In the extensions if it's disabled, click on disable and it will be enabled.

o

Unless I misunderstand, you've selected "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" from the "Help" menu?

If so, you just need to close Firefox and open it again and your add-ons will be re-enabled.

Here is a link that might be useful: More info.

o

CG is right on point. That's what I reported on the other thread.

DA

o

Hmm, well, even though I closed and then re-opened FF a lot of things changed. I lost my usual home page, I can't seem to pin my bookmarks to the left side of the page as usual, and there were ads all over the place so I had to reinstall Adblock Plus. I had thought things would just snap back to the previous settings but that doesn't seem to be the case.

o

Did mine last night , and everything returned to the original presentation. Nothing negative.

DA

o

Same results for me. No changes, same homepage, same add-ons, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps when presented with a dialogue similar to this

you chose the "Reset Firefox" option?

Truthfully though, and this is just my opinion, if even doing a full Firefox reset didn't resolve the issue, neither would have disabling add-ons. The reset would have been the next troubleshooting step anyway so looking on the bright side, you just saved yourself a step. :)

When you say "sluggish system", what are you calling "system"? The entire Window's experience or is it just sluggish when using Firefox?

Again, just my unqualified opinion but I would suspect the above troubleshooting step would be useful only/mostly if the problem is confined to Firefox alone. If the entire "system" is sluggish, including IE, Windows Explorer, notepad, etc., I would think scans with your A.V. and probably other anti-spyware tools are in order. Just my opinion though, and as I say, I'm not really qualified. Just saying what I would probably do if it were me.

Edit: Grammar. :)

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 13:45

o

Something changed my update option AGAIN and FF updated to 24 without my permission. The only difference I see is a slight change in the adon manager layout, but everything works. I don't have Java on my PC anymore.

o

chuggerguy, thanks for the response. I DID click the reset Firefox button, as you surmised.

Things are still not good, even worse. When I turn on the computer and double click the Firefox icon, it can no longer connect to Firefox. I get impatient after about a minute and switch to IE. I wonder if I should uninstall Firefox and then reinstall? Is there a reliable site to get it?

Lately I've been unable to connect quckly from my home computer to my university server. It was always an immediate connection to Outlook, never a problem. Now it takes a long time. That's what I meant by "sluggish." I realize I wasn't thinking through the issue fully and jumped to the conclusion that it might be Firefox.

So I have a couple issues going on. . .

o

A reliable site to get Firefox would be mozilla.org since they're the authors: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Sorry, I don't really have the expertise to help you with the sluggishness though. Surely someone else will. Honestly, I mostly just read here because I'm trying to learn myself. :)

o

Reinstall Firefox an see how it goes, if issues still persist we can check for possible adware that can be common with browsers

Adware programs such as Babylon and Delta Search, conduit, and the list goes on an on, these types are difficult to locate and can cause lots of issues in the browser and hijack the home page etc etc....

Joe

o

Food for thought.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla.com

o

Going off on a tangent here Marita.................

Take a look at your event viewer to see if issues are causing your slowdown.
(For Windows 7)
click Start
click Control panel
click System and Security
Near the bottom of the new window click View event logs
on the left side click the small arrow beside Custom views for the drop down, Administrative Events will appear underneath, click it and the contents will appear on the right side.

Here you will be looking for red error or yellow warning signs. click on one and the details will show underneath. Do not allow yourself to get confused with gibberish that may appear, simply drop to the bottom and click where the link says "More information Event Log Online", you will need to agree with details being sent to MS.

This brings up a web page with an explanation and some possible fix options for you to try written in a fairly straight forward fashion.

Repeat this for each error or warning watching the time stamp on each, you need be concerned with very recent entries only.

I generally only like to fix a couple before a reboot testing the effect as i go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here