Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Google Terms & Conditions Article

Posted by not2bright (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 12:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Google Terms & Conditions Article

The obvious thing to do is not use Google. I dislike their invasion of our privacy. The government has already stopped some of their antics and ordered them to write their privacy terms in a language we all can understand. I do well on the internet without google, I don't even get their cookies on my PC anymore.

o

The obvious thing to do is ignore it.

Your TV signal provider knows what you watch. The phone company knows who you call, your cell phone service knows that AND where you are. The supermarket "customer account" you use for discounts knows that you like one product and not another. Your credit card company knows what days you go shopping and where you buy gasoline. Etc.

No one knows or cares about "you", it's about trends and preferences. The word "privacy" is a red herring, the way most people use it, it really means nothing at all.

o

Regardless of what you say we do the best we can to prevent the invasion of our privacy, even if it doesn't work, we try. Just because a burglar "gets in if he wants to bad enough" we still lock our doors and have the outside lights on. When I do business with someone "I" give them the information. Google takes it. My gas company does not walk in to my home without me inviting him in, Google does.

o

Emma, you said "we do the best we can to prevent the invasion of our privacy".

Before that, I'd said "The word "privacy" is a red herring, the way most people use it, it really means nothing at all".

Please tell me what personal information do you believe you are able to keep confidential, that you benefit from protecting, by not using Google ?

o

To you it means nothing at all, to me it does. You do what is important to you and I do what is important to me. If the government thinks google crossed the line that is good enough for me. It's my computer and I don't want Google junk on it. I don't care if that is foolish or not. I can stop them and that suits me just fine. I don't like being force to give them my information telephone number or an email address to have a google account so I don't have an account. I paid $900. for a new PC and couldn't even set it up unless...............I set up an MS account. What if I just wanted it for a word processor with no internet. Umm, I think I will reformat, disconnect the internet and see if I can use it.

I went through the new PC and deleted every thing that I had to register for. I have been able to anything on my PCs I want to do without a Google or MS account.

o

I don't worry or obsess about it. Well I can't get buy without their reverse image search. Only other one I know of is tiny eye and it can never find what I need.

Sometimes I come across a finished needlework with no info and I plug the photo into google and most times I can locate the image else where with the info. For every 10 times google finds it tiny eye may find it once if that. If there is another reverse image search that works just as well as google I would love to know about it. Mary

o

Acrafty lady, I have never heard of reverse image search or tiny eye. I use yahoo or Bing.

o

Oh how do you do a reverse image search in yahoo or bing? I am talking about this. You click the little camera icon, browse to the photo on your computer and upload it and google searches for a match. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: google reverse image search

o

I should have said I useYahoo or Bing to search with. I thought that was what you were talking about. Sorry

o

Oh ok I was talking about reverse image search on google. Works really well for me so I thought maybe I missed that yahoo or bing did the same. Mary

o

fwiw, just stumbled into this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrome's efficiency may leave users vulnerable

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here