SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

use wifi (dsl internet) and blueray+ to watch tv

jerry_nj
10 years ago

I have looked on the Garden Web family and can't find a place better than this for techie questions even if it bridges to TV.

I have at one time looked at buying a Blueray and discussed it here. I decided to just keep using my DVD for rental (or check out from library) movies.

Now, again, tired of the cost of Cable TV (I have DSL Internet so I buy TV as a standalone service), I started looking at streaming TV over the Internet.

It seems this is possible if my DSL is fast enough (how fast does it need to be, will 3 MBit download be fast enough?), and I have some way to interconnect the streaming video into a TV via the HDMI (my more recent laptops have that interface), of course I need a TV with HDMI input, well it's about time to buy a panel (LED?) flat screen HDTV anyway.

But it seems if I buy one of the Blueray set tops it will support streeming video, including TV (cable stuff too). So again I am encouraged to buy a Blueray and a HDTV. As I use cable only for TV and even though I buy a next to minimum number of channels (80 as I recall) it still cost me about $50 a month including all the taxes (that's another yoke I am looking to drop at any chance, taxes). It could be I could pay for the Blueray and 32" (space limitation) LED TV in less than a year, $600 will buy a lot of electronics. That said, and limited to 32" on the LED panel do I need 1080p or is the 720p sufficient. I ask this in the context of a guy who shots digital pictures at 3 mp in a 10 mp camera as I believe I can not see the difference in a "snap shot" print of 4"x6" so I believe the same principal applies to TV, higher resolution is needed only for the larger screens.

Comments (18)