SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gogwmos

connecting headphones to DVD player

gogwmos
11 years ago

Not quite a computer question, but I have faith in this forum for good answers to electronic things.

I have used cordless headphones for years using only the TV and a DVR, and I just hooked up a DVD player but I can't get the headphones to work with it.

Here is what I have tried with no luck:

I have connected the headphone wire (from the headphone base) directly to the DVD

I have switched the HDMI cable from the DVR to the DVD

I have turned off the DVR

Any other suggestions?

Comments (23)

• zep516
    11 years ago

Connected head phone directly to DVD where? What output? Line out?

Who makes the headphones, what brand name?

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

Does your TV have audio out in RCA plug or headphone plug format, that would be the easiest way.

• Related Discussions

dvd player and direct tv

Q

Comments (3)
    OK. I am trying to picture your setup. I am assuming you have one Dish antenna feeding 4 HD Direct boxes, is that right? I thought that the Direct TV required one LNA/LNB per box. Is there a TIVO in this mix at all? When you say an HD box, are we talking about a Direct TV receiver? I was trying to draw a block diagram of your setup to get a better understanding of what it is you have in your setup. Set me straight here.
    ...See More

Problems connecting DVD player with Laptop...help please

Q

Comments (1)
    You either have to change the input select on the dvd recorder to s-video (and you may find there is a set of audio inputs separate for the s-video) or you may have to enable the s-video output on the laptop - there may be a control panel or something in your settings for that. Your HP handbook should tell you how. Good luck with it.
    ...See More

Cords on DVD player

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd say it depends most on the source material. A Blu Ray disk has greater capacity than a DVD and so for a program or movie of a given length of time, it has room to store a higher definition (more clarity and sharpness) version compared to a DVD. That is, IF the production company chooses to put a higher definition version on the disk. An old DVD movie, for instance, will most certainly have a lower definition image than a newer movie on BR. You can buy a 6 foot long HDMI cable from Monster with all kinds of impressive (and nonsensical) specs for $59.95. Or, you can buy one from cables.com for $5.95. Or, you can get one free in the box your player came in. Or you can use a component connection with RCA plugs. So long as the cable, the plug connections and the plugs are in good condition for all the possibilities, neither you nor your TV set will know there's any difference between them.
    ...See More

Connecting a DVD Player

Q

Comments (1)
    A component video cable is a shielded 75 ohm coax with three connectors. They are sold as HDTV cables or component cables. An excellent source for high quality good price cables online is bluejeans cable linked below. Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Jeans Cable
    ...See More
  • gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zep, I connected it to audio in, the audio out is connected by all three wires to the TV, there is no "line out" that I could find on the DVD.

The headphones are Sennheiser.

Snidely, the TV does have an headphone plug outlet that I use to watch TV, it won't work with the DVD player, my question is why it won't work.

Thanks

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

"---- I connected it to audio in ----"

You need to hook it up to audio-out instead of audio-in. Headphones are an output device, not input.

If you can't find a source of DVD audio on the back of your TV, you might tap into the audio-out that runs from the player to the TV using a couple "1 male to 2 female RCA" adapters.

{{gwi:1499098}}

Just an idea, maybe there's a better way but I don't know what you have available on the back your TV and DVD player.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

The volume level on a DVD is usually VERY low, almost always necessitating an big sound increase on the TV. Any sound you can hear through the TV's speakers should also be present in the audio out through whatever headphone connection you have, irrespective of the source (cable box, VCR, or DVD, no matter). Try turning the volume on the TV WAY UP (with the headphones off, of course) and see if the sound is there in the headphones. I'll bet it is.

Chugger guy, the OP didn't answer my question about the kind of plugs s/he's working with, but I think you've pictured the wrong kind of adapter. My TV has stereo female RCA plugs for audio out, for example, so you'd need either a standard RCA patch cord (with two wires and male plugs on both ends) or a Y with two male plugs to go into the TV and then whatever kind of plug goes into the wireless base station on the other end.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snidely, I'm sorry I don't know what all the kinds of cords are called, the cord coming off the headphones is a split end with two male ends (red and white) going to the DVR.

"Any sound you can hear through the TV's speakers should also be present in the audio out through whatever headphone connection you have, irrespective of the source (cable box, VCR, or DVD, no matter)." Exactly my thoughts.

I just tried connecting the cord to the TV, the DVR and the DVD and none work through the headphones, even with the TV volume cranked.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Have you checked the batteries in the wireless headphones to make sure it is not something simple like that. I had the exact thing happen to mine tonight, needed new batteries.

One other thing is that you may have to select an output source on the dvd player to have it direct sound to that output.

My headphones also have a reset button does yours?

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Raven, I use these headphones everyday and I just changed the batteries a couple days ago, so that isn't it. I have no reset button.

I will try playing with the DVD to see if there is something on the menu that will help solve this.

Thanks!

• bob414
    11 years ago

You're not going to hear anything from the earphones if they're still connected to a line in jack. A line in jack puts sound into a device. Line out receives sound from the device. A splitter like chuggerguy recommended might be your best solution. Your local Radio Shack would have one.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

mine also have the option of using the headphone out option on a tv or other device have you tried connecting to that output using a 3.5 cable?

You should be able to plug your headphones into the TV headphone out or the RCA (red and white) audio OUT plug(with appropriate cable) on the tv and hear what ever you are playing on the tv does not matter if it is DVR DVD or blue ray player etc the output from the tv is the same regardless of the device that is feeding into it. If you were to for example connect the headphones to a cable box audio output you would only then be able to hear what was coming from the cable box so if you were watching a DVD from a DVD player that was connected to the tv you would not hear it while you are connected to the cable box.

So connecting the headphones cables to the headphone out or RCA out on the tv is the best method to hear all output.
    If you set the headphones on so you can hear the tv while using your DVR as you normally do, leave the headphones as they are, then change the input of the tv to the dvd player you should then hear the output from what ever is playing on the dvd.

do you only have one HDMI input on your tv is t that why you said you unplugged the HDMI from the DVR and plugged it into the DVD? if you have 2 HDMI you can plug both in and use the source input button on the remote to switch from one to the other.

The other thought is check your audio settings in the tv to see if it does not mute one audio out if another is in use some will and you can change the behavior.

I prefer my wireless headphones base plugged into my RCA audio out so that I can still use the tv volume so others in the room can hear it if they want or I can hit the mute button if I want. If you plug it into the headphone jack it will automatically (in most cases) mute the speakers on the tv and only give volume out the headphones, in that case I turn the volume on the tv way up and then use the headphone volume button to adjust.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bob, the ones Chugger pictured are opposite of what I would need if I needed them, but the headphones already come split with the male connectors.

I have tried every suggestion you gave already, at least once, what really baffles me is the output from the TV. That should be a no-brainer, but it doesn't work.

There is only one HDMI.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

"tap into the audio-out that runs from the player to the TV"

That's why you need TWO of the adapters I pictured.

You unhook the audio from the back of the DVD player and plug the male ends of the two adapters into the DVD player.

That way you have a pair of female audio-out from each channel, left and right.

You hook your two male cables from your mic base into one each of the female connectors, one in the left, one in the right.

The remaining two, you hook the TV back up to so you can also have DVD sound through the TV if you want.

That may very well not be a solution you would want to implement but unless I'm thinking incorrectly, the cables are correct for what I had in mind.

As for having DVD audio out from the back/front of your TV, definitely, that's much better if you have it. My TV does not. The only audio-out on the back of my older Sony Bravia is a pair of female RCA type plugins. I can run my amp to those and get TV sound. However, anything other than TV, such as DVD, and I only get silence. Why? Just the way it's is designed. I thought it sounded like yours worked the same as mine but maybe not. Sorry for confusing.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"You unhook the audio from the back of the DVD player and plug the male ends of the two adapters into the DVD player." Did you mean one of the components to be a DVR, not DVD?

The only cords connecting cords between components are below, and all of my jacks are female:

-a 3-prong (yellow, red & white) from the TV (video out) to the three middle (audio out) jacks on the DVR.

-The other colored prongs are a 2-split that goes from "audio" (no mention of in or out) on the DVR to a single on the headphones.

-the HDMI cable from the TV to the DVR.

I attached a pic of the back of my DVD (I am not selling it, but I couldn't find a good pic of the back anywhere else) so click on the link and look at the pic of the back.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: DVD player back

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

oh well you have every type of connection on there you could get and you only need ONE!
    IF you have an HDMI cable that goes from your TV to the DVR player that is it that is all you need disconnect all those other cables!

the HDMI is video and audio all in one cable that is the advanatage of HDMI one cable and the highest quality.

The other options are only to be used if you are using devices that do not use HDMI.

So plug the HDMI cable to either the DVR or the DVD depending on which one you want to use, then use the the red and white RCA jacks on the tv (it does not matter if there is a yellow one beside it that yellow is for video not audio so you will use the red and white only) plug your headphones red and white male cords in to those red and white female out jacks on the tv.

That is all! leave all other cords out of the equation.
    As long as all of your devices that you want to connect to the tv have HDMI use that.
    IF your tv did not have HDMI then you would use the 3 colored ones yellow white and red that carries video on yellow and right and left audio on the red and white.

Ok try that just the HDMI cable and your head phones.
    BE sure that the source input on the tv is set to HDMI if that is what you will be plugging the DVR or DVD into, if the source input is not selected on the tv you will not be getting the signal.

This statement right here is very baffling
    -a 3-prong (yellow, red & white) from the TV (video out) to the three middle (audio out) jacks on the DVR.
    you state you are going from tv out to DVR out you can not go from out to out there has to be an IN for anything to work.
    But you do not need those cables so remove them completely from the equation.

HDMI out from DVR to HDMI cable IN on the tv period.
    Headphones base unit red and white male plugs into the TV red and white female audio out jacks. Period

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made a mistake in my posting, it is video in on the TV to Audio out on the DVD.

As for the cords, there are only two cords, listed above.

I have HDMI on the TV to the DVR, the DVD has no jack for it.

Sorry about that!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

The point is if you are using an hdmi cable between the
    tv and a device that is all that is required. Are you sure the dvd player has no hdmi because it sure looks like it on the picture you linked to.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

If your dvd is that same one that picture shows the HDMI on the top row about the middle directly under a screw and just above the coaxial jack.

What I would do if the tv only has the one HDMI input is put an HDMI cable connected to the DVD and DVR and just plug which ever one you are using into the tv at the time.
    OR you can buy an HDMI multi port cable which plugs into the HDMI of the tv and has like 3 HDMI female ports on a hub you can use a switcher on the hub to switch from one device to another much easier than having to get behind the tv and switch cables.
    HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch with 1.5 ft. Cable
    that one actually does the switching automatically, determined by which device is powered on. and it cost under $6
    Ultra High Performance HDMI Switcher, 3to1 Switch
    that one has a remote for about the same price.

So now that you can use just an HDMI cable you will have the red and white female audio in jacks on the tv free to plug in your headphones base.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Sorry I meant the red and white audio OUTput jacks on my last statement.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate ALL the help and time you spent with me on this.

Now, off to watch the Alias series again!

• shar1ford
    7 years ago

Can you have headphones attached to your TV and another set attached to the DVD?

• April Murray
    6 years ago

Can I use output left and right cables, then get a device that I can plug in my earbuds? I know it's not wireless (maybe down the road). That should work correct?

• HU-236352366
    2 years ago

i cannot do this because i do Not Have a DVR runner in my bedroom But DVD player

• mtvhike
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Most DVD players (and CD, VCRs, etc) have line-level analog audio outputs using red and white RCA connectors. To drive headphones, just like speakers, you need some kind of amplifier. You could also get a BlueTooth box which has analog inputs and BT output for wireless heaphones. And, what does the DVR have to do with it?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals