SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Program Update questions (what SEcunia did and did not turn up)

lynnalexandra
11 years ago

I'm running Secunia on our household computers and have a few questions. I have just trusted SEcunia to tell me accurately what I do need - and thought it wasn't overlooking things - but here are my two questions:

1 - on my daughter's laptop (running Windows 7), it told me to update 6 programs - two were microsoft updates - and her itunes, and adobe reader x 10.X. I did the open office and adobe reader updates. But when I downloaded and clicked on the adobe reader x 10.x file, the computer warned that "AdbeRderUpd1014.msp" can harm the computer. So I did not install it. But I don't know if I need it and why I got the warning.

On my own computers, I don't use Adobe REader (I use pdfxchange), but her teachers post a lot of pdf's for homework assignments and a lot of those don't open with pdfxchange. (There are a lot of difficulties downloading and dealing with the formats of files from her school.) So I think we probably re-installed adobe reader bc. it was needed to open some of her school files. So is this update a problem? is it a problem with all adobe reader files - or did I somehow download a bogus file?

--------------------------------------

2) I ran the online secunia scan for my desktop and it only yielded three updates needed - two adobe flash and internet explorer. My question is that in the process of downloading some work software (to fill in medicare insurance forms) - without my awareness, it ran a scanner called software.informer (the Wot scores were excellent). This program found 52 updates that were available - and it provided links for those updates. I took a screen shot of the first page.

Now I'm cautious enough not to click the links on software I don't know. But I do wonder how come secunia did not discover 49 of these 52 updates - such as:

Acronis

Belarc Advisor

PDF xchange pdf viewer

microsoft office

I know I can go to the websites for each of these programs and check if there are updates. That is a lot of work for 49 updates. I think these programs probably do have updates out there. If so,why didn't Secunia find them? Can I trust this software.informer and use it's links to download the updates? Is there another program I can trust that would scan and provide links to download updates? or do I have to do all 49 individually (manually?)

thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (5)