Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Android phone question

Posted by millworkman (millwork4u@gmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 8:58

I know on our home computers we scan for viruses and malware. How or what is recommended for Android phones? I have anti-virus on my phone already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Android phone question

About the best program for android is Lookout security, Avast also has a pretty decent one. Since Android is Linux it is less prone to infections but certainly not exempt.
They can both be found in the Google Play or Amazon app store for free.

o

Lookout security does scan any new app that you download to your phone. It sends me a report weekly via e-mail.

o

I use the T-mobile antivirus, but was wondering more about malware and or spyware?

o

Last year, Google's manager of the Android effort said the following:

"Virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you BS protection software for Android, RIM, and, iOS," DiBona said on Google+. "They are charlatans and scammers. If you work for a company selling virus protection for Android, RIM or iOS, you should be ashamed of yourself."

I don't know what the consensus view is today. It's one of those areas with divided opinions. The danger seems to be most prevalent with apps. As with PC use, if you stay with mainstream programs and go only to mainstream websites, you're unlikely to have any problems. I don't use security software on my Android phone and I don't worry about it. Maybe I should?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here