SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

WinLiveMail offline?

chas045
10 years ago

We are old time WinXP users but we now have a newer (still old) computer running windows 7. I suppose there were better approaches, but I had always kept wife's email and mine separate by running separate programs. We have continued this practice and have had no problems for almost two years. Wife's email is running on Windows live mail (mine on outlook). I suppose it does all sorts of interesting things that I don't understand and probably don't use (who knows); but it seems to be causing trouble today. This computer is online. I can use my outlook mail and I am sending this message thru Firefox.

WinLiveMail keeps sending the message that 'you are working offline. Would you like to go online". We had not received this message before. I have used a go online button that is on the ribbon and with that and clicking the 'go online?' message Twice will sometimes get messages to be sent and received but will then immediately revert to blocking message send/receive.

I stumbled on the tab that sets up email acts and I tried setting up wife's email act. again. I now see two copies of her email address but there was no effective change except that when I can work my way thru the commands to attempt to send mail, I see both mail names and choosing either will download new messages (and then still say off line for new send/receive).

Does anyone know what needs to be reset so I can send/receive normally??

Comments (3)

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi chas045,

See if any help at link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: windowslive

• chas045
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks zep, that was it. Solving that is like casting a magic spell. Going to Explorer and turning the setting to 'working off line' and back to 'working on line' does the trick. I suppose you just had the sense to google the right terms.
    As it turns out, I had the opportunity to use google later; after I made things far worse by thinking I needed to remove that duplicate copy of the email address. I managed to wipe out all my wife's long list of personally added subfolders and emails. After emailing my professional tech to see if he would be able to save me; I realized I should try google and found out about the restore routine for win live mail. It worked perfectly although it restored 1.3 gig of data! I guess the mail is holding the actual pics the wife receives from facebook and advertisements. It took an hour to restore!

• zep516
    10 years ago

"Going to Explorer and turning the setting to 'working off line' and back to 'working on line' does the trick. "

Awesome!!!!!!

WinLiveMail keeps sending the message that 'you are working offline.

That's what I Googled....