Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transfer ipod song onto a new computer

Posted by michelle_phxaz (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 6:47

I have read a few stories that when they plug their iPods into a new computer that and press "Synch" all the music goes away from their ipod.

I want to figure this out without wiping out my Ipod.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transfer ipod song onto a new computer

Apple doesn't make it easy to move songs from an iPod to another computer. I would strongly suggest backing up the contents of your iPod before proceeding.

You can find some help at the link. Note that these instructions do NOT apply to the iPod Touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: music to a new computer

o

Have you purchased songs and/or video that are protected? If so, you'll also want to make sure you decommission the old PC AFTER transferring the songs and videos. With protected content, there's a limit to how many devices it can be copied to. I don't think decommission is the right word, but it's something like that. It frees that license so you can transfer to another computer.

One way I've done it is to just copy the itunes folder in My Music to an external drive, then copy that to the new computer.

o

I do not use Itunes but did just see this topic on Kim Komando site
Transferring an iTunes library to a new PC

o

Yeah, didn't work. Erased everything. Good thing is is that I have all the songs saved on another HD and can pull them from there.

Next question is that my 4GB iPod doesn't hold hardly any of the library I have collected, I need a newer, larger holding iPod. The price is an issue, anyone know where I can get a good used one for cheaps?

Thanks!

o

this is why I do not use ipod or itunes or any of their oh so proprietary stuff, plus they kill you with price, so many great other brands out there that do the same thing and more and don't provide the grief of having that name attached.
Have you considered looking at some of those other brands?
Like zune, sandisk, sony, Creative makes some awesome products, try doing some searches for some of the top mp3 players. Also you can now get the ones with hard drives in them as well as the flash drive ones.

o

I forgot my ipod on a plane and bought a used one on ebay, but it wouldn't hold a charge so I gave up and returned it.

My new ipod is a Pandigital Novel.

o

Well, lucky me! I don't know what happened, but I left the iPod plugged into the computer last night when I was done with it and today all the songs are back! The iPod still was in the middle of doing something, it warned me not to unplug it still, but I did and all the songs are back.

Thanks for the info and advice, I would be happy to go with a different MP3 player, iPod is all I have ever known so I just didn't consider another brand.

o

bpgreen me too!! and with the ability to use a 32 gig SD card in it you can put a lot on it! Plus you can surf, email, view pics and play games. I love mine. However the size difference would be a problem for some.

Glad you got your ipod back the way you wanted it, yea never a good idea to unplug when it says not to can cause some major corruptions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here