Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having to Retype the WEP Key

Posted by elks (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 6:44

My daughter wanted to load pictures onto a second computer we have that only has one working USB input. She unplugged the Wireless USB adaptor without disconnecting from the network, and now every time we turn on the computer, we have to right click on the LAN Card Status, Launch Config Utilities, click on the correct service and enter the WEP Key. I do not know how to save the Key number. I almost have the 26 number key memorized. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having to Retype the WEP Key

Selecting the desired connection should offer two options,
"connect" and "connect automatically" - selecting "connect automatically"

See if that helps for starters.

o

might help to power down everything and start over from scratch so it is all done at one time. Power off all the computers, then unplug power from the router and modem. Wait about 5 mins then power up first the modem, wait, then the router, wait till all lit, then the computers. Enter the info if asked and make sure it is as zep mentioned. Some I have seen do ask if if you want to remember that network say yes if you see that.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.
While I was waiting for this computer to fire up, and was playing with the one in trouble, I right clicked on the LAN Card Status again and was given another option. It's gone now again, but was something like start Microsoft Configuration Utility, so I did, entered the key twice, okayed it, and voila! connection and connection automatic when I rebooted. I'm sure if you hadn't suggested things, I would never have found the solution, and now I have other things I can try next time.
Steve

o

Maybe it was this,
Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC), also known as Wireless Auto Configuration, or WLAN AutoConfig is a wireless connection management utility included with Microsoft Windows XP and later operating systems as a service that dynamically selects a wireless network to connect to based on a user's preferences and various default settings.

o

It was wonderful once I found it. Thanks again. S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here