Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update Google Chrome

Posted by urlee (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 5:50

I have the orange menu up on the right hand corner.
When I click on it, there is NO Update Google Chrome to select to update??

How do I update Google Chrome or tell if it is the newest out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update Google Chrome

Google Chrome 30.0.1599.101
usually Help / About shows version info on most programs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/chrome

o

The update option is in the 'About Google Chrome' dialog box. I find it by mousing over the customize and control menu on the right side. I have no orange menu.

o

Orange Menu??

My Chrome has an icon in the upper right corner under the X-out with three horizontal bars. When you place the cursor over the icon it presents the title "Customize and control Google Chrome". Clicking on the icon reveals a drop down menu which includes "About Google Chrome". Clicking on that entry will show a portal to other tasks, but it will also automatically check for version updates. If one is available it will automatically be installed.

DA

o

PK,

Two great minds thinking alike and at the same moment.

DA

o

Thank you people soooo much!
I am on my laptop now but will check the "Orange" desktop one. The menu on this one shows black (3 black bars) like my friend DA stated above but my desktop has orange.
This version shows 28.0.1500.95m.
It says: An error occurred while checking for Updates. Installation failed. Please try again. Error code=0x-0000000.
That may have happened when I was having trouble with my internet connection of getting knocked off every 5-10 minutes.

o

DA------Especially for U

photo ORANGEbars_zps02836835.jpg

Got it! THANKS
 photo Updates10-20-2013_zpsd25bde44.jpg

o

You just have a Windows color theme set to get the orange color :-) That's why it's orange!

Damcoy ..I was thinking the same thing!

o

My laptop show black bars and I keep getting the update failed as I wrote above with that error code.
I wonder why??

o

Posted by pkponder (My Page) on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:24
You just have a Windows color theme set to get the orange color :-) That's why it's orange!

How does one do that? I didn't do anything like that.

o

Windows 7, correct?

Right click on the desktop, left click on Personalize. There are Themes that can be chosen there that use coordinating or contrasting colors for everything from application borders to text.

I don't typically use Chrome, it's my hubby's preference and I just realized that Chrome has Themes too. They are found under the 'orange' bars in settings, then appearance.

If you didn't do it, maybe a child that played with the laptop?

This post was edited by pkponder on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 6:09

o

Posted by pkponder 8 Azle TX (My Page) on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 6:04
Windows 7, correct?

No, It is Windows XP Professional. (My desktop) is Orange.
No themes used. Nobody but me uses this computer and my laptop.

o

So, when you right click on the desktop, it's properties then. If your desktop is orange, maybe you chose orange somewhere in the Appearance tab? Not really important in the big scheme of things, just caused your reference to the 'orange menu' to be misunderstood.

o

It has nothing to do with my desktop Display, I meant to say it is my desktop computer where Chrome shows the Orange Bars for the: "Customize and control Google Chrome".

It is this, like I posted in my graphic above.

photo ORANGEbars_zps02836835.jpg
Not this:
 photo Display_zps6f0b63b5.jpg

o

Here we go!
This is what I meant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrome MENU

o

Interesting. I have never seen any color other than black.

DA

o

I tried a bunch of Chrome themes yesterday and found almost every color except orange :-)

Then I noticed my hubby's Chrome on our Win XP computer was also displaying an orange settings menu. Discovered that it was a sync error because the saved Google password had been changed. Once I entered the correct password, it went back to black.

Sorry that I was convinced that it was a theme!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here