Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble with Avast

Posted by urlee (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 5:45

Has anyone else have trouble updating Avast ?

I have a maroon colored popup notice stating of my last update failing and to try again.
When I click on try again or even try to update from the "ball" (program), initializing, please wait page comes and stays with nothing happening ever.
I went to the add & remove in Control Panel and can't even remove it or Fix it.
It says: avast.set up has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble with Avast

Urlee,

I don't use Avast so I can only comment that on a rare occasion AVG will have an update fail. It is found to be a production error and is remedied in a day or so by the presence of a new update.

Also, don't remove an AV through Windows. Use the appropriate manufacturer's removal tool targeted for the specific version. It is a cleaner removal and potentially can save you a lot of grief.

DA

o

Thanks "Deary",

I have Avast on my laptop which has and still updates as usual.

This occurred on my desktop when I think I clicked to update the version and stopped it cause I didn't have the time it would take.

o

You smooth talker you.

"That may have happened when I was having trouble with my internet connection of getting knocked off every 5-10 minutes."

That may have been the problem too.

DA

o

You did the registration of Avast, right?

Mine was working earlier, but I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and can't find the icon now :-)

o

DA, "That may have happened when I was having trouble with my internet connection of getting knocked off every 5-10 minutes."
WHERE did you get that????? I know I wrote that some place?
Found it here in this post!
 photo ORANGEbars_zps02836835.jpg

pkponder,
I am registered til December.

This post was edited by urlee on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 11:54

o

You may need to uninstall/reinstall if it won't update.

FWIW, Avast is incompatible with Windows 8.1. Windows Defender came with the upgrade, however.

This post was edited by pkponder on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:37

o

I was just over to the avast forum and you won't believe the problems they are reporting about avast. Even with uninstalls.
I am leery about even trying to fix mine. It is on my windows XP. Have to check the version when I go on my desktop XP after.
Am gathering as much info on it to help me.

o

Seems to me that there have been a few posts here over the last few weeks regarding issues with Avast. Used to be a great program, hopefully they'll get it sorted soon enough

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here