Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secunia Scan

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 0:18

States these need updating. Are these something I need?

Insecure - MSXML 4.0 SP3 Core Services 4.x
(This requires a Parser License Agreement?)

End of Life - Microsoft Removal Tool: Blaster/Nachi

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secunia Scan

Hi:

I see that you are using the Secunia PSI 2.0 version. Why not install the 3.0 version of Secunia PSI?

o

I see 6.0 is the latest version, but why not uninstall it and use Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)?

o

I agree about using the online version. I had updated to version 3 and had nothing but trouble afterwards. It took forever to download (I don't have a very fast connection), and often after programs, especially browsers, had updated, Secunia still showed them as the old Insecure versions. Now I just run it once a month, after the MS Updates when I do all the rest of my maintenance work.

o

Thanks, I didn't even know it exsisted! Which is the on-line scan?

I'll hold off on installing those updates until a get another scan.

Thanks again for the information,
Jane

o

hmmm....looks like I might need to research the OSI 6.0 tool. I have had good results from using the PSI 2.0 and 3.0 tool.

o

The on-line scan is here: Welcome to Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI). Look under the top lines where you can download the new version.

o

Jane - I had the same item come up on my daughter's laptop when I ran Secunia. She has Windows 7 and has been using google chrome (whereas I mostly use firefox). Don't know if that's why this got turned up.

I don't know what the program is, but I've tended to do just do what Secunia tells me, so I did download and install it - and all seems fine - but that was just this morning. I was using Secunia PSI 3.

Lynn.

o

I only use the online scanner have never installed the PSI. I don't like to install a lot of programs on my pc anyway and if I can get the same results from the online scan I do that, however you do have to remember to go do that scan!

another great resource is to check the calendar of updates daily.
Calendar of Updates

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here