Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really dumb question...

Posted by SunnyDJ (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 23:54

I was sending a message and while typing, I hit a button and everything on my screen went up about 1/2 and inch...Now,all the headings are way up and if I want to use the back arrow, I have to jiggle the mouse way up on top and finally it will appear....What button could I possibly have pushed and how can I undo????

Didn't I say, it was a dumb question...........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really dumb question...

I'm not sure I exactly know what it is that you are saying has happened, but more often than not, rebooting the computer will solve 'odd' problems.

Have you tried rebooting (turning off and then back on) yet?

Sue

There are no dumb questions...and often things are just pretty hard to try and explain.

o

my guess is you hit F11 key that will make your browser go to full screen and the top part will be hidden try just hitting it again, you just toggle it off and on by hitting the same F11 key

o

I think it must have been the F11 key so I did what you said, and all fixed....
There are times, when I really feel dumb....Thanks so much for the help.....

o

Sunny don't worry about asking, it's the way we learn. Reading in places like this helps also. Some times people post their favorite tip, I always print those off for future use.

o

Vala55, you're so right when you said "Reading in places like this helps...".

I never knew this attribute of the F11 and love it! Sometimes I get frustrated by all the screen real estate taken up by assorted toolbars (especially when I'm using my small laptop). A simple F11 press is the trick!

Thanks for asking your question SunnyDJ, and for the responses from the forum experts.

o

juneroses,

You really don't need assorted toolbars installed, let me know if there are any you did not install, like ask toolbar, google tool bar, yahoo toolbar, the list goes on forever...

o

One of the things I enjoy the most with the recent generation of browsers is that F11 hides all the toolbars and bars, upper and lower, rather that just reducing them. Just hover the cursor over the top of the screen and the upper toolbars reappear. Unfortunately the lower ones have to be restored by F11. Hopefully the designers and encoders will remedy that issue.

DA

o

Zep: You caught me! I was using the term toolbars to refer to those assorted bars at the top and bottom of a web page. Now you've caused me to look up the names so I can be more specific :)

The bars I was referring to are the title,menu, tab, location and status bars.

From checking this forum daily, you all have taught me to be careful when downloading software so that I don't add unnecessary toolbars. Thanks for looking out for all of us.

o

oh good I am glad it was a simple fix and it was the F11 key. Hey it happened to me when I was first learning too and scared me not knowing what I had done, thankfully someone was around to help me too.
That is how we learn and pass on the knowledge!

One thing a lot of people do not know that is also helpful is using the Control Z combo, if you are typing or something and want to UNdo something you just did try hitting the Control Z and it will undo your last action, it keeps undoing as you keep hitting it. That has saved me a few times. I wish I had an Undo key for life sometimes LOL

o

Thanks Raven, that is a good tip. In some places there is no undo on the tool bar or in the software I am using.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here