SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Firefox question

jane__ny
11 years ago

I'm not sure what happened but Firefox now has a large toolbar on the bottom page showing- Tools, Settings, Sync all in large boxes on the bottom of the screen. This section takes up at least a third of the window. I've tried everything, including 'restore FF to default state' and can't get rid of it.

Another problem is my Gmail window looks different. The color of the page is white and all the mail is just straight text with no color. The settings above are just blank boxes. I have to put my cursor over the blank boxes to see where 'send, delete, return to inbox, etc.' is. No writing and no back arrow. I tried going to settings, personalize, etc. with no luck.

My bank site is also affected the same way with just text, no colors.

Ran scans and nothing shows. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Java update or Windows update.

Sorry to ask for help again, but I've been trying to correct this for the past 3 days. Can't seem to find anything which will change things back to normal.

Jane

Comments (27)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

It might be easiest to do a simple system restore to the day before you had the problem begin. You can Google system restore for windows blank using what ever your windows version is.

• nearandwest
    11 years ago

Click Start, then type System Restore in the search box, and follow instructions

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, will give that a try.

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The computer with the problem is a Win 7 laptop, 64 bit. I can't find my way around it to see where the problem is coming from. I discovered a few things - by accident and can't find my way back. I discovered I have Java, 32 bit installed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it keeps installing 32 bit. Went to the Java website to see if I could manually update and can't find out how to do it.

I think Adobe Flash is for 32 bit, but I'm not positive. I thought I saw it somewhere but can't find it again.

I saw something about a device problem (mouse and usb controller) but can't find that again because I can't find Drivers anywhere. Win 7 has the dumbest set-up, I can't find Administrator tools, I can't even find System Restore. Event Manager seems filled with warnings and errors about a device, but can't find a way to update drivers.

Anyway, I'm so angry with Microsoft for changing the way things appear and the difficult finding simple ways to make changes.

I'm sure the Jave and Adobe have to be corrected but not sure how to get the right versions. I'd appreciate any help.

Jane

• bob414
    11 years ago

It's easy finding things in Win 7 by typing them in the search box. Click start and type what you're looking for in the search box. Type device manager and click on it to open it. Right click on the device you want to update drivers for and select update drivers.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Remember to check google for instructions you can not find. Also the seven forum is an excellent resource.

I would suggest doing the system restore first rather than later.

Here is a link that might be useful: System restore

• owbist
    11 years ago

Jane you can visit Adobe and you will see 3 lines above the yellow text block which version you have installed. You can also update while you are there.

With Java you can go here and verify your version and update if needed.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. I'm going to try the system restore (thank you Raven). Hopefully, I can find it. I uninstalled Java and Adobe completely. Thanks Owbist, I'll follow those links. Computer still works but nothing went back to normal. I'll try restore and post back.

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did system restore, but it only offered me restore date of 9/11. I know the problems began before that date. I had no choice so restored to that date. Nothing cleared up, in fact it seems worse. Gmail, banking sites, everthing is text with no color and all the boxes are blank.

Maybe I have to do a reinstall? This laptop didn't come with disks and of course, I didn't make any back-up disks.

Jane

• zep516
    11 years ago

What's everything look like in Internet explorer?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is weird, I can't find it listed anywhere? Looked in Programs and Control Panel. I'll keep looking!

Jane

• zep516
    11 years ago

There should be 2 Internet Explorers 64Bit and a 32Bit, look in the start menu, click start. I gotta get to bed.....:)

• cynic
    11 years ago

I'm guessing you haven't backed up your profile or anything. Did this happen after a Firefox update? Firefox likes to sneak Whitesmoke in a lot lately, I'm wondering if it's just one of those or similar toolbar that's your problem. Did you go to the toolbar settings and try turning off extra toolbars?

I don't see any reason to blow away your computer because of a Firefox problem! LOL WORST case scenario would be to blast Firefox and reload it. And of course you should back up your profile regularly to avoid issues like this.

It might help if you posted a screenshot of it. Might recognize the problem.

Good luck.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I probably would run CHKDSK and also from one of those little black CMD windows opened by right clicking and run as admin...

SFC /ScanNow

In control panel if towards the top right corner you select View by 'small icons'... you will see device manager.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I gave up on trying to figure out what was wrong with this laptop. I'm thinking the problem might be Java. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall but I keep getting an error that the installer is corrupt. It won't install.

Here is a pic of my gmail to show how it looks. Notice all the blank boxes. When I try to go shopping online, the buttons for 'add to cart' and 'checkout' are missing.

This problem has saved me a lot of money!

Any thoughts?? BTW, I tried system restore with no results.

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the message I get regarding Java.

Jane

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

You need to clean out all your java folders and registry too,,and browser java plugins,,, and attempt a download/install of the full about 30mb java program from your hard drive,, not a web install. You want to use 32bit java... unless you do use a 64 bit browser, or play fast games,,, I doubt you would ever have need for 64bit java.

Before your anger reinstalls windows,,,, Throw caution to the wind.. tell back up and restore in control panel to make an image backup to the D drive or somewhere ... Run a registry cleaner like Power Tools Lite ,,, in full experimental mode, to get rid of java and anything else it finds from the registry files. I run that all the time, its just a simple toy to save me time searching the registry.

• not2bright
    11 years ago

And just an observation: despite your crossing out some information in your email inbox pic, Jane, I can still read through to the text underneath. I don't know if you'd want to re-do that so it's truly unreadable (to bots, spammers, etc.). :-)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

they just dont make Marks-A-Lots as good as they used to :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

use JavaRA to fully remove all old bits and pieces of java including the registry entries.
    JavaRa : SingularLabs
    then install the latest version if you need it.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They just don't make laundry markers like the old days!

Mikie, you totally confused me. The laptop is 64bit so which Java do I install?

"Before your anger reinstalls windows,,,, Throw caution to the wind.. tell back up and restore in control panel to make an image backup to the D drive or somewhere"

What???

Thanks, Not2bright. Couldn't figure a way to post a shot of gmail. I have multiple gmail accounts and posted my 'house-hunting' account. Mostly Zillow, Trulia and Craigs List. We found a house but I can't figure a way to stop the real estate listing to stop coming in. I'll just cancel the account.

Raven, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks all,
    Jane

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

If I go to download java... the page basically says;

We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 64-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

My guess is the browser you are using is 32 so I would get the 32. It goes by the browser not the windows.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

"I gave up on trying to figure out what was wrong with this laptop. I'm thinking the problem might be Java."

I don't believe "Java" has anything to do with how Gmail renders. Gmail uses Javascript, not Java. I don't have Java and my Gmail renders fine.

You should of course keep Jave up-to-date for other reasons, I just don't see how it would affect Gmail. I may be wrong.

I know that doesn't help, it's just that the Java/Javascript terminology was confusing me.

BTW, this may or may not help with your Gmail. Click the "Gear", click "Settings", under "General" look for "Button Labels". Change it to "text" and save your changes. After that you can change it back to "icons" if you want without getting the blanks back. At least I think that worked for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to find my Firefox profile.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now I'm totally confused. Java - Java script???

Its not just Gmail. My bank sites are affected too. All the function buttons are blank.

This laptop is used as a spare, mostly for checking emails, etc. It sits on the kitchen table for quick use. Now its become a chore to use it. Maybe reinstalling Windows is the way to go.

Jane

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

Yeah, sorry, I'm not expert enough to explain the difference, just pointing out that there is a difference.

My banking sites work fine without Java. I wasn't implying your problem is Javascript, just that it's not Java.

Javascript is not something you manually update, it's built into the browser and updates when you update the browser.

Personally, I wouldn't rush to reinstall Windows if all the problems are in Firefox. First, I'd try the "reset" that you tried. If that didn't work, I'd uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. If that didn't work, I'd do it again but make sure it didn't leave anything behind. Make sure it removed my old Firefox profile, maybe even run CCleaner's registry cleaner to make sure all Firefox registry entries were removed. Then if after all that it still didn't work right... I'd consider reinstalling Windows. I'm not an expert though so I'm saying that's what you should do, just telling you what I'd do.

BTW, every time I've ever reinstalled Windows, I dreaded it but ended up glad I did. Machine ran snappy new again.

Sorry I can't help more.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chuggerguy, you have been very helpful. I don't understand the whole Java thing. I have tried removing FF numerous times and nothing changed. I did not delete my profile. I dread doing that, but will try it.

I stuck the laptop in the closet until I get enough free time to fool with it again.

Thank you for taking the time to help,
    Jane