Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Mouse is Acting UP

Posted by love2sew (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 22:46

I have a wireless mouse by Microsoft that is 1 1/2 yrs old. It has started acting up and the batteries go dead really quick. I put in a new battery and when I am scrolling, it yerks and when I think I am clicking on what I want to see, it ends up either the next or a couple items away.

Has this thing just bit the dust or maybe just dirty? I have never cleaned it, so any tips would be good. I just thought I would check with you good people before I give Staples $25. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Mouse is Acting UP

Unlike the older style ball mice, there isn't much to clean with an optical mouse. You could take a Q-tip and clean around the LED.

It might just be that the mouse is failing...unfortunately.

o

Look under MS Mouse in your All Programs and see if something needs to be adjusted in the settings. My wireless mouse was jumping around too much when I was scrolling. So I set the scroll speed to the slowest setting and now it's okay.

o

Thanks, that is what mine is doing....the page keeps scrolling while I am trying to read it. I will check the settings.

o

Does this happen all the time, even after re-booting the computer?

o

I recall having a mouse where if you clicked wheel (they also can function as a third button) it would turn on "auto scroll". Move the mouse to the top of the page and it scrolls up, to the bottom of the page scrolls down.

o

I set my mouse speed to the slowest and restarted my computer. It is working much better so hope it holds out until Santa comes!

o

Hope you have luck. I have had issues in the past with corrupted mouse drivers. Usually a reboot would fix it, but on occasion, I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.

o

I was just at big lots and they had a very nice selection of name brand wireless mice for under $10 both regular size and laptop size. I get a lot of electronics there, great brand names and very low prices.
I picked up 4 of the 55 in 1 multi card readers that read all of the new HC cards also that some of the older ones will not read. I keep them on hand to share with friends that need them. They were $6 each. Also picked up a few 6 in 1 charging cables, these are very handy for charging multiple devices from one usb plug those were $6 each too.
I have a few usb hubs I picked up for that price also.
Their price for any kind of cable beats any I have seen.
I bought 2 bluetooth headsets for our smartphones for $8 each and they work great, uniden brand.

So before you go pay big bucks for a mouse check around!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here