Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the search bar on my tab line?

Posted by gogwmos (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 22:31

A new thing appeared on my tab line, it is 4 colored leaves (sort of like the MS icon) but it is a search engine. I don't want it or need it, how do I get rid of it? I don't even know what it is to look it up.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the search bar on my tab line?

What browser are you using? Either way click on tools in the browser, click on add ons, look at the extensions, plug- ins. and see if you can identify the name of the of it maybe, or just click on it and see what search engine it is.

Joe

o

Perhaps right click on the icon and see if there is a properties option to see what it is.
Just a thought do you happen to use AVG antivirus if so it could be a part of it. If so check this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Just thought I'd share this information in case it applies.
This is one of the reasons I am no longer comfortable recommending AVG these days. They really have changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foistware AVG

o

That's unbelievable!!!!!! Shame on AVG.

o

No, it's not unbelievable at all. It's very believable.

Providers like AVG can't produce software without employees working there, and people don't work for nothing. But you won't pay for the software, you want it for free. What alternatives do you think such companies have to get money? That's what you see in this case.

Outside of open source stuff (much of which isn't worth much anyway), I think the notion of "Free" software is a broken one. I think everyone should be prepared to pay a fair price for what they need and use. You know the "free lunch" saying, it's true. The installer gave a warning and a choice, there's no reason to be angry about it.

Really good A-V software with real-time monitoring isn't that expensive, everyone should have a copy.

o

The point and problem is that this is a company that is supposed to stop and protect you from this kind of foistware, it is very much like getting infected by the very one that you were trusting to protect you. We all know that they have to make money and they do from their pay versions and advertising. It is their
decision to provide a free version
however. There are other ways to make money that are not so shady for a security company,

o

Until the OP chooses to provide complete info on what he/she did install on the computer, it's useless to just guess. Sadly, this behavior is typical of this person IMHO.

I have lost all empathy for those users who install something without understanding all the terms and conditions. They are going to get what they so richly deserve.

That AVG is going down this road is not at all surprising, just disappointing. After trying several anti virus products, one of the reasons I settled on MSE is because I'm hoping that Microsoft is rich enough to not have to pull this kind of crap on their users.

o

AVG Foistware is also bundled with PDFCreator.

As a result of a thread here last week I decided to give PDFCreator another go, at one point a screen appeared and to all intents and purposes it appeared I had little choice but to have the AVG toolbar or not install. The options were very confusing. This was not your normal situation where a check mark could be removed, it was deliberately confusing to say the least.

o

I noticed a McAfee scan piggybacking on I believe it was Adobe Flash updates..a little inconspicuous checked box...
One has to really pay attention to what is downloading now and making sure those updates are not automatic..You have to manually check the box to notify you...the default is automatic

o

when I:

watch free TV, the programming is interrupted by commercials

open my free email, there are ads on the page. Even on my droid phone.

read the newspaper, I have to turn page after page to get through the articles because of all the space taken up by ads I don't care about.
It doesn't bother me, I'm sorry if such things bother you. On the other hand, the great anti-virus system that I pay for each year has no ads. Choices have consequences.

o

This has been a very interesting thread, thanks to all who contributed. I no longer use the free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG on my X-P box. I installed Windows Firewall and MS Security Essentials.
Steve

o

I am using Firefox, and I don't find it in my add-ons. I am pretty sure it is an MS logo, but I don't find it in any search of MS on my computer.

o

What happens when you click on it?

o

Zep, it's a search bar.

o

Do you know what the name of the search engine is? If you click it does it take you to Bing, ask, or other??

o

If it is a microsoft toolbar, it almost certainly is in the Add/Remove programs ... or Programs and Features .. in control panel.

BING Toolbar
uninstall it there.

Or you could download ToolbarCleaner.com , a freeware simple program.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://toolbarcleaner.com/

o

gogwmos I asked you in my first post to please tell us if you have AVG antivirus on your pc can you please answer that question.

Mikies toolbarcleaner is worth a try depending on what exactly it is it may or may not work.

If you right click on the icon that you say looks like a MS icon it should have properties what does it say there? Again I asked for this info earlier! Please if we ask a question at least bother to answer us.

do you know how to take a screen capture/print screen of your monitor screen and what you are seeing and post it here so we can see it also?

If I had a clue as to your version of windows I could provide those instructions HINT HINT.

o

Sorry Rajun, no AVH, just NAV. And I am running XP. I apologize, after the first few answers a lot of people were comparing and discussing AVG and I passed it by to find answers to my problem. I will be more diligent next time.

When I right click it it gives the menu bar list: menu bar, navagation toolbar, bookmarks toolbar, etc.

Zep, when I right click on it in the list of search engines I am accessible to, it is called (love this) "search engine". It is at the bottom of the list of Google, Yahoo, etc.

Oh, and I do not know how to take a pic of the screen.

o

In my IE9 I can click on my Search Engine, and it tells me lots of info.

I can also right click it .. select copy... then paste that here... more info.
Name Yahoo!
Status Default
Listing order 1
Search suggestions Disabled
Top result Not Available

Here is a link that might be useful: mySearch Pro's http://i46.tinypic.com/28ib3gm.jpg

o

I'm bringing this thread back up because I believe OP may be having a problem with Funmoods. I did not get the tool bar installed with mine, but the description of an icon resembling the Windows logo turned on a light in my brain. When this thing set itself as the default search engine in my browsers it had an icon that very much resembles the Windows logo. I really suspect he/she may be infected with this malware.

o

Additional information,

The Fun Moods virus (also known as Face Moods, funmoods) is adware and spyware published by Volonet LTD, categorized as a complete browser hijacker that is capable of changing internet browser settings and browser helped objects, such as the homepage (startup page), browser add-ons and extensions, and managed search engines (default search: start.funmoods.com) which cause internet searches and inputted URLs to redirect to Fun Moods search engine Start.Funmoods.com or other third party drive-by websites. Fun Moods is often referred to as a "redirection" virus because of this.

See link

Like many browser hijackers, The Fun Moods virus is distributed with user consent, downloaded voluntarily as freeware, but may also install onto infected computers and internet browsers along side (bundled with) other malware, Trojans, and viruses.

Funmoods.com (Fun Moods) claims they are not adware, nor spyware, and also state they are not responsible for any malware on an infected computer system which may have been contracted through them by a third party. Fun Moods purposely leaves the door wide open for other malware infections and third party programs, this is how they extort money from victims. Their terms claim they are not responsible for these actions in grave detail, yet malicious symptoms almost always transpire.

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fun-moods-face-moods-hijacker-virus/

o

Joe, I read this very carefully. Fortunately, I did not get the "full" treatment. Right now, the only lingering bit seems to be in my Chrome browser. It is listed among the search engines, but is not the default. However, every time I open Chrome, a second tab behind the tab for my home page appears, and it is "Funmoods search". I cannot remove it from the list of search engines listed for Chrome. I have run both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware (full scans). Unfortunately, the last restore date shown on my computer is the day after this all happened. So I am at Lanzdown, and Corinne thought it was all removed, but it remains the same as ever. If I have to remove flash to get rid of it, I'll do so. I guess right now it's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I do worry that it can be doing more than just being a nuisance.

o
RE: What is the search bar on my tab line? more

Joe, I just checked, and it is listed at the end of the search engines for FF just called "Search". But it does not intrude there as it does with Chrome. I need to stop this tab from jumping up every time I open the browser.

o

Didn't know you were at LDZ I'll look at the thread for my own curiosity.

Joe

o

That funmoods which is with out doubt malware and nasty stuff, is popping up all over the place. It is evil.
As Corrine posted on the other thread here about it, this thing embeds itself deep in the system. It is not an easy removal.

o

Actually I have no problem with Funmoods, I deleted it from my control panel when it first popped up and haven't seen it since.

o

Omg you did not tell us you had funmoods!!
You only think it is gone it is NOT!
That is your problem. You still have an active infection from it.
You really need to go to LzD forum and ask them to help you fully remove this nasty piece of work. It is not easy to remove.

o

Raven, in a previous thread the OP claimed that he/she was using Windows XP and that this same computer did not have Internet Explorer on it. I was unable to get clarification on this point, nor was I able to find out if this same computer has been upgraded to Service Pack 3 or if it is receiving regular Windows Updates. I suspect that it has NOT been upgraded and is NOT receiving updates. I would love to be proven wrong on all these points if only the OP would provide the info. Perhaps you can get the OP to answer.

If in fact it turns out that I am correct, then Raven I humbly submit that your laudable efforts to help the OP are being ignored in whole or in part. SP3 was released over 4 years ago, and if this computer doesn't have it and the updates that followed then the OP has left it wide open to numerous security flaws.

Even if I am wrong about SP3 and the updates, I am not filled with confidence when I read that the OP got rid of funmoods by saying
"Actually I have no problem with Funmoods, I deleted it from my control panel when it first popped up and haven't seen it since."

This says to me that either the OP really has no idea what he/she is doing, or that the OP is totally unable/unwilling to communicate what he/she did do. I will read with interest how this comedy of errors continues to play out. I think the OP needs to do much more than just ask for help over the Internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread

o

When a helpful person such as Raven tells you that you need help from Lanzdown, and you reply with "I actually decided to try to restore the system to an earlier point and it worked!", then it's clear that you don't want any help. Please continue to post about your computer problems. I will enjoy reading all about them.

o

Raven, forgive my ignorance at this, I am new to a home computer, so I don't know what LzD is. I Googled it but found nothing that helped. Your patience and help are appreciated.

o

Correction: I should have said "home computer problems", my IT guys at work usually take care of problems for me but I have decided to learn some of this on my own.

o

It is another forum where we help you run special scans and get the pc cleaned up, they will lead you through it step by step. Go there, register, start your own thread telling what has happened, don't follow instructions given for any one else.

Here is a link that might be useful: LzD

o

Use the link provided by Raven and get over there and register. They will work with you as long as it takes to solve the problem(s).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here