SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

RegCure Locked up in scan mode

jerry_nj
13 years ago

For reasons I'll not explain here I decided to run RegCure - Yes, I know about all the warnings about not messing with the Registry unless you are an expert, but I was only trying to run the "scan". Well after waiting for the last step in the scan sequence to finish I started clicking on the "cancel" button, as recommended by the RegCure dialog box if one wanted to stop scanning. It didn't stop, so I took a look (Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 bit) at device manager and it showed RegCure running, maybe not responding (forget now as I have just been through some trying minutes) so I decided to power down the notebook. When I tried to restart the computer it hung up in the start-up, I was hoping to get a shot at "restore"... but no boot.

Luckily, I had made a complete set of restore/recover/repair CDs using the mfg (Toshiba) software..so I put my "Toshiba Windows Recovery" CD, powered up hitting the F12 key, then selecting the CD/DVD as my boot device. This came up nicely and offered some choices that at first led me nowhere, but finally I picked an "automatic" recovery and it happened, yes, recovery, thank G-d, now I will be able to sleep tonight, as soon as I make a fresh backup of my calendar and email folders on an off-line HDD.

I guess my reason for posting besides burning off some of my adrenaline raised by my computer freeze/lock-up, is in case other might be warned about running RegCure - I don't know what version I have, afraid to turn it on again to ask. I know I have ran it in the past.. not sure why other than I have it. Again, I got into trouble just running the scan, I had not approved/requested any changes.

I wonder if it might be good now that the computer is working to do a restore to earlier this evening. But, it does seem to be working well as is.

Comments (10)