Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
at&t wireless internet connection

Posted by paulsm (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 22:19

I am looking to purchase their setup at 14.95 per month at 3gb. They have one device that connects to the computer via a cable that they provide.

Is there anything wrong with going ahead with this. They say that the one device is a combo router and modem. Is that correct.

The next step is to purchase a Roku to connect to the TV. Will the Roku pickup the at&t internet setup on the computer.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: at&t wireless internet connection

I used a combination modem/router with the last DSL connection I had and it worked fine. The Roku should pick up the signal OK but that depends on location and the strength of the signal from the router. Don't expect to get the full speed. The speed will depend on several things like the distance the signal has to travel and the condition of the phone lines.

o

Does the Roku or tv need a router or some other device.

Thanks

o

paulsm-
If you already have a router that transmits a wireless signal -- and the one from AT&T certainly should -- you need no other equipment to make the Roku work. Setup is incredibly easy.

o

Assuming the Roku can pickup the wireless signal can it also pickup the website that the computer is currently on. How would you turn on or turn off the website content that the computer is currently on.

Also when I was trying to find more info about the Roku it seemed to me that they give you some basic channels but allows you to add additional channels as well. How would I transfer a particular channel from the computer to the Roku channel listing.

My objective is to disconnect from the Comcast cable system. I don't see how that would effect the new setup in any way except I might have to do a little extra research to find one or two programs that were on the Comcast cable listing.

Thanks

o

I just wanted to bump this back up to the top to try to get a response to my message above this one.

Thanks

o

If you disconnect from the comcast cable your router is not have a signal to send to your Roku unless you get another ISP.

o

Comcast or cable has nothing to do with the internet in my case. I just use them for the cable programs they provide. I currently have a dial up system using Earthlink as my isp. I assume with my purchase of the AT&T setup that they will become my isp instead of Earthlink. Am I missing something...

o

No, you're right. In that case you can do away with comcast. Your AT&T DSL will be what is connected to the router to furnish the signal for the Roku.

o

I need to delve into this a little deeper before I take the plunge.

I assume that I will have to change my remote id from Comcast back to the remote that originally came with my TV. Not sure how I would do that as I have never had to do it before. I might have to manually punch the buttons on the TV as the comcast remote may not allow access to this function.

Also I have a second tv upstairs that I would want to also use this wireless connection. Would I just have to buy a second modem/router and use the same software that I would get from AT&T.

Also I have a second computer about a mile away that I would want to hook up to this same wireless connection also. Again I assume I would just need another modem/router and use the same software once again. AT&T should be able to give some input to this question.

Right now both computers use the same Earthlink account. Both systems use Thunderbird and Firefox and the same email account. Another question for AT&T I suppose. Earthlink allows this simultaneous usage and only charges a minimal fee for this.

Thanks

o

I assume that I will have to change my remote id from Comcast back to the remote that originally came with my TV.

Are we talking about the remote control for the television? If so, it is the remote that's programmed to work with the TV, not the other way around. Although some "universal" remotes can be iffy with advanced features, so you may be best using the original remote control for the TV.

If the TV is Internet enabled and you want to use a wireless connection, then the SSID and password (if security is enabled) must match that of the new router. Of course, you could change the SSID and password of the new router to match the old router.

Also I have a second tv upstairs that I would want to also use this wireless connection. Would I just have to buy a second modem/router and use the same software that I would get from AT&T.

No. One of the functions of the router is to distribute the Internet connection to computers and devices in your home via wired and/or wireless connections. Again the upstairs TV would need to be programmed to the correct SSID and password.

Also I have a second computer about a mile away that I would want to hook up to this same wireless connection also. Again I assume I would just need another modem/router and use the same software once again.

That would be problematic. WiFi just doesn't have that kind of range nor could you run a mile long Ethernet cable. You'd likely need a second service from AT&T.

I don't know about Earthlink. Most ISP's give you a free email account (or in some cases, multiple accounts) with service. You will need to ask Earthlink what happens to your email account if you discontinue their service. They may allow you to keep the email account active for a small monthly fee. AT&T will give you a free email account with their service as well. You may wish to just migrate or use one of the free services like Gmail or Hotmail and not be tied to the ISP.

o

My question was... how do I access the function to change the identity of the remote. After digging around in comcast here is the answer... comcast does allow access to this function but it is not in the setup area where you would expect to see it but is embedded in the help area. It is a series of steps of pushing buttons, flashing lights and beeping sounds... way to complicated for such a simple function.

As to the second tv upstairs I will simply hang another Roku box on that tv. I still need to check with AT&T on the second computer setup.

I do have a new question. Best guess as to how many computers performing simple tasks like streaming videos could you attach to one computer runing at 3gb before seeing a serious downgrade. Same question for a computer runing at 5gb.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here