Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
downloading zip files, became movie clips?

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 22:11

I have been downloading zip files with no problems, just the last couple days, they have turned into movie clips for some reason or another, and can't open even with my RAR program, box says the files are damaged, or sumpin.
don't believe this is the case, something has been inadvertantly changed here on the machine, and I can't imagine what it might be. someone suggested even a virus, but AVG run several times is clear. Can someone have some suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: downloading zip files, became movie clips?

Well just running avg is not much of a guarantee, run fully updated malwarebytes free scan, run fully updated superantispyware free scan, and an online scanner like Eset.
Then let us know what was found.

o

Can I get a link to where I might find these? Been doing well with AVG for 2 years, and no probs, this will be a new thing for me I guess.

o

Here is the link to the Eset online scanner. Download and follow along and you should be good.

o

Ok, just ran the Eset scanner, no threats found, have an appt, so will try and find the malwarebytes, and superantispyware after I get back.
The AVG that I have been using is not the freeware, but the purchased version, and has all the bells and whistles on it. I had some probs a while back, and the free virus protection just was not helping me, this has done the job for 2 years, and tho some pricey, having no worries til now has been a blessing.
I have been given to understand having several virus protections on one's machine sometimes puts them at war with one another, and so am asking, what is the real scoop on this? also, would it be wise to uninstall them after using, and reinstall when needed again? Some answers for me to ponder please?
Many thanks Raven, and owbist, you have been a great help.
Shaddy

o

Wondering are these the correct links to these products you recommended?
malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp/?gclid=CNyww5ikobICFWd-TAodLUMA2g

superantispyware:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

thanks for your time people, much appreciated.

o

Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are on this list from File Hippo. After downloading and installing them update and run them once a week. Or maybe alternate, running one one week and the other the next. Also a good idea to get Spyware Blaster from the same list. You don't have to run a scan with it. Just open it once a week or so and update the definitions and enable all protection.

o

I'm slow Shaddy you found them while I was getting ready to post. Your links are OK if you make sure to get the free ones. File Hippo goes to the free ones.

o

The three mentioned by bob414 will not conflict with your AVG as they do not run all the time, only on demand. The free Microsoft Security Essentials can take the place of AVG, if you should ever decide you want something that doesn't cost $. It also offers protection from other malware besides viruses. Now, you would not want to run both AVG and MSE at the same time, however. But the others just offer you additional layers of protection. I have all three of these and the free Avast AV. They work just fine for me.

But I rather doubt that your problem is malware related, rather some setting or other, but I cannot offer a solution at this point.

o

grams, I agree with you about the settings, and have tried to change from movie clip to all files, when downloading, but the files won't stay in the blank, and still movie clips keep showing up. I don't understand how to go about doing a definite change there, it seems someone mentioned a change somehow long ago, and I never bothered to do it cuz I was always pleased with what I was getting downloading the zip files. After I do all the other downloads, and the checking, I will be back to see what can be done about that, hoping by that time, someone can fill me in on the right and proper procedure to follow, I don't like empty movie clips and being told the files are damaged, when I know in reality they are not movie clips that I should be downloading, and there is something in the zipped folders! At least, I can be sure about that part, not so the rest I guess.
Many thanks, you are always the voice of reason, and understanding as well.
bob, thanks a heap will copy and follow your advice, appreciate your input greatly.

o

Just curious but what were in the zipped files when you first unzipped them, were they word documents or photos or what? Where are the zipped files coming from, sent to your email by someone or from a site? Mary

o

I m receiving shared items from my group, some written pages, and some photos, and I go there to pick them up. This has just started, so am pretty sure it is something I have done via the herky jerky finger that always gets me into trouble.
Thanks for your inquiry.

o

Could it simply be that you have associated the .zip file extension with media player or movie player ?

Maybe;
Hold down the SHIFT key and right click one of these .ZIP files. Select 'Open with...'

Look and see what the default program to open them is ?

o

That's what I was thinking and I am curious to see what happens. So you download the zip file and it doesn't show up as a yellow folder with a zipper? I am just curious if you mean the zip file won't open or after you open the zip file and move the contects they won't open in the right format. Mary

o

Well,Mikie, I got away with your trick for a couple of the movie clip files that were downloaded, and then it quit working, with the window appearing saying damaged files, or unknown, when I know better. Have tried to change the file extension, via start, programs accessories, IE, and still no dice, I can't figger out just exactly which RAR file I should use for opening, there are so darn many to choose from!
All I want is just to download zip files, and open them with RAR, but movie clips seems to be the norm, and it won't change for me. I have switched to FF for working, but prefer IE for the work I do. windows XP by the way, but am assuming all would be the same regardless. thanks to anyone?

o

Perhaps uninstall your Rar program
Then reboot before reinstalling it.

o

Somw one correct me if I am wrong but doesn't he have to use winrar to open winrar files? I know I was sent a few winrar and had to get it as winzip wouldn't open it. I got my winrar from here. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Winrar

o

I think the windows built in .ZIP program does not do the .RAR

7-zip opens them. Qu9te popular, simple, small, open source program.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://7-zip.org/

o

Back again folks, I switched back to FF to download, prefer IE for sure, but I have opened a new page, and then the menu comes up, and I can switch to WinRAr files to open, and get away from the movie clips. will work for me for a while, at least til I can get this figgered out, at least I can work again, but still makes me wonder what the heck, when it works with one browser and not another?

o

Shaddy, give mikie's suggestion of 7-zip a try instead of whatever you have been using to open the .zip files and see if that will work for you. Nothing to lose, and maybe it will solve your problem.

o

Are you saving the winrar files to the desktop to open them? I am confused on exactly how you are downloading them. When I download a zipped or rar file from a site I right click and save target as and save them to the desktop. Then I open the folder and move the files out of there then I can open them. Mary

o

crafty lady, I have a folder the unzipped files go to, not crowding the desktop, then I can do them at my leisure. Never any probs previously, and still think it is the site doing this, as when I use my FF browser, have no problems at all, can change from media files, to win RAr and it stays when clicked, as won't do when I use IE. Am not having any luck going to Accessories, etc., to change the titles either, so what else can I do? I also do save target as, and always went directly to zipped folders, now becomes a movie clip, even before I can download.

o

Are you downloading.. filename.RAR ?
Or are you having the browser directly save the downloaded files, directly into a RAR folder ?

o

Are you downloading.. filename.RAR ?
Or are you having the browser directly save the downloaded files, directly into a RAR folder ?

o

Well it sounds like you have the wrong file association for the unzipped files if they are word files or photos but something else wants to open them. When I said desktop I have a folder on my desktop I send the unzipped files to. Didn't mean about them scattered all over the desktop. Mary

o

I am taking a couple days to just clear my mind, and do something else for a bit. Hoping when I get back to this conundrum, I can wrestle it to the ground, and come out the victor. I still can't figger out why the downloads work with one browser and not the other.

o

I am confused. What to you mean the downloads wont work with one browser. What happens in that browser when you right click and save target as from the website does the zip or rar folder not download or what? Mary

o

Mary, came back to see what the forum says, and found your note, I mean with one browser, the downloads come in as zipped files, and with the other browser, they become movie clips, which is what I don't want, as I can not open them as such. Appreciate your interest in my problem, and I hope to be able to get back to this next week, just bogged down with other chores this week, and too tired to do much of anything with the computer when overtired.

o

Well for now just use the browser that lets you save them as zipped files to open I guess. Sounds like a browser problem. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here