SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenbuckeye

Need help getting connected with a laptop

goldenbuckeye
11 years ago

I need help to get an Acer Aspire laptop online for a disabled friend. I have a desktop and I'm not familar with setting up a lap top.

She lives in a rural area and will have to go through the phone co with dial up. (I know dialup stinks but she's never had anything else so maybe it won't be so bad for her as it would be for most of us.) We live several states apart but I plan to visit her soon and would like to get her online while I'm there. (I'll only be there for 2 days) She's going to make arrangements with the phone company to get service before I get there.

On the box it reads Acer Nplify PM 802.11 B/G/N. Does that mean her computer already has wireless capability or does she need a router? Will she need some kind of box from the phone company? It also has Windows 7 installed.

This computer was purchased in 2008 as a Christmas gift and is still in the box!

Please be specific on what I need to get her online because as I said before I'm not familar with setting up a wireless lap top. She will only be using this in her home.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)