Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hotmail

Posted by aufin (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 22:06

Sitting here "trying" to get my email and wondering ........Is Hotmail screwing up as bad for anyone else as it is for me since they launched their "new and improved" Hotmail? Never had a bit of problem with H/M until he last few days. Now it's a huge problem getting to my email. Everything else works and pops up just fine as always. But Hotmail ....... it's getting real tiresome dealing with the way it's (not)working now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hotmail

fwiw

Hotmail had their webpages screwed up for me other day ..no format at all .. unusable .
I only check email every few days so I dont know how long it had been that way.

It works now, for the past about 24hrs anyhow.

o

I was having the same problem as Mikie with the no format a couple of days ago. No problems since then with getting in.

o

I am knocking on wood here, and kinda afraid to say that I have seen no change. I have been dreading the changes though.

o

They are replacing it with a new one called outlook.com.

outlook

o

Ha ha, I went to investigate urlee's link and they changed my set up from Live to Outlook before I could even blink. At least the default font is 12 point instead of the silly 10 point. Font choices are minimal too.

o

I changed mine to outlook, because hotmail screwing up again, and added a couple alias names before they got used. One to match my hotmail, and one to Go straight to junk mail folder for those one time needs.. Then I can change it every now and then.

o

mikie, a word of warning. AFAIK, Hotmail/Live/Outlook's alias feature does not so much allow a user to have 5 aliases, as it does allow one to create aliases 5x per year. Read the experience of "Scott" in the comment section (scroll most of the way to the bottom) of this MakeUseOf article:

Here is a link that might be useful: MakeUseOf -- Hotmail

o

the question I had is if we are all going to be forced from hotmail to this new Outlook (really can't they come up with a different name for goodness sakes) will the current name we have with our hotmail automatically be available to us on the outlook? because if what I use as my hotmail addy is not going to be the same in the outlook I will be sorely upset I have had this same name since I got online. It is not ravencajun by the way LOL.

o

Change is the only constant.

o

It seems you dont automatically have an @outlook.com email address unless you create an alias it seems. Otherwise it shouldn't have allowed me to make an alias matching my hotmail email username .

I think I have a lot of alias names there. If it should disallow adders ... it should be simple enough to make another email account and auto-forward... to the one main account so not to be bothered with checking two accounts.

I really hate to use email to anything other than those I know, excpt when I must ... and some I know I definitely have to give an alias because they will have me plagued with invitations to facebook, linkedin, and all the places that they will unknowingly share their address book with.

Outlook.com .. looks much the same as hotmail .. minor changes to the original artistic beauty of their pages,, with mostly the same old location and functions of clicks :) .

o

The Windows Live Team is posting blogs about the-email-service-formerly-known-as-Hotmail on the Outlook Blog instead of at the usual Inside Windows Live Team blogsite. (I guess this is one more way of trying to create some distance between the Hotmail "brand" and the new Outlook.com "brand.") Anyway, I've included below a link to the blogpost about "Upgrading from Hotmail to Outlook" where some of the issues raised in this thread are discussed (including the long comments section there).

Here is a link that might be useful: Outlook Blog - Upgrading to Outlook

o

What does one gain by doing this upgrade. And why would they want to change it in the first place......

o

And why would they want to change it in the first place......

Money most likely Al

o

why would they want to change it??

because they can!!

they just continue to make changes supposedly for the better and each time we end up with all kinds of borked up stuff happening. I will stay till the dieing end! LOL

and why would they name YET AGAIN another different email program outlook?
so they can make it even that much more confusing because of course there are no other words in the world that would work as well or better than outlook. Never understood what outlook has to do with email??? Why not MY EMAIL at least hotmail made sense.

o

By the way they did at least answer my question on that blog which is nice. And I quote:

First of all, it's important to know that you don't need to create a new account to use Outlook.com - you can upgrade with the Hotmail account you're already using. We bring your settings and data across to Outlook.com, and to your phone and clients, including Outlook with the Outlook Connector, all of which will continue to work, just as before.

These instructions will work for any email address that currently uses Hotmail, including @hotmail.com, @msn.com, @live.com, etc.

We highly recommend that you upgrade to Outlook.com with your existing Hotmail account, rather than creating a new account. If you want a new @outlook.com email address, this article shows you how to add one to your existing account.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here