Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need CD to update Excel, Word and Office.

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 20:25

Hi folks,
My machine is X-P SP3. It's almost 12 years old, but with the exception of being slow, it works great. My problem is Secunia keeps poping up and reminding me of updates. When I try to update, it asks for the original CD, which I don't have and don't remember of ever having. I went thru Google and the official MS site and get the same request....insert disk now.
The programs are all 2003 vintage, but work great.
High priorty update for:
MS Excel 2003 (KB2597086)
MS Word 2003 (KB2598332)
MS Office 2003 (KB2598361)
Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail filter (KB 2687403)
MS Office 2003 (KB2687323)
MS Office 2003 (KB2687324)
Any thought's on how I can update the programs or at least stop the annoyning pop up from Secunia?
Once again, thanks for the great help.
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need CD to update Excel, Word and Office.

Have you visited the windows up-date page?

o

Hi zep,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I get the same message from the Windows up-date page.
Steve

o

What is the exact error message from windows update, kind of weird because some of those are security updates and they would not be on the cd anyway!

o

Remove Secunia, problem solved.

o

Yes, remove Secunia PSI. I won't have it on my computer. I do use Secunia OSI - the online version occasionally.

o

FYI

Review Your Installation Results
The software upgrade is complete
You can now use the website to find and install the latest updates for your computer.

Continue

More high-priority updates are available
Your computer might be at risk until you install them. Check for the remaining updates and install them now.

Restart now to finish installing updates
Your computer will not be up to date until you restart it. Please save any open files, photos or documents and restart now.

Installation Summary
Successful: 0
Failed: 7
Remaining: 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Successful Updates

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.
Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don�t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.
Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.
Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Microsoft Office 2003
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB2597086)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB2598332)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2598253)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2598361)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB2687403)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2687323)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2687324)
Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Remaining High-Priority Updates
Your computer might be at risk until you install all high-priority updates. These updates help protect against security threats and performance problems.

To review all updates you�ve installed from this website or by turning on automatic updating on your computer, see your update history.

o

I also have a computer running XP SP3 which is 5 years old. I've accepted every important & critical update offered by Microsoft Update. On rare occasions, I've had to make a 2nd or 3rd attempt to get one done but it always succeeds in the end. I didn't even know what Secunia was until I read about it on GW. Not sure I like the idea of a 3rd party deciding what I need to update. I don't do driver updates thru MS. If I need a driver update, I'll go back to the manufacturer of that device.

o

Hi Steve, run the windows Fixit in the link provided, lets see what that does for you. Then revisit the windows up-Date page.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: support.microsoft

o

A tactic you might think about trying:

Something I had to do just a couple days ago was to type the KB# into google which got me to the exact MS site where I was able to download that particular update independantly then install it. Tho I was notified by MS that it was needed the update site just didn't cough it up. Doing this via google seems to be easier than searching the ms site.

o

Shoulda linkt it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's One

o

I agree remove Secunia it is always wanting me to update that which is already updated.

o

If you think you never had an Office disc, poke around on your hard drive. It's possible the installation files are somewhere. If you find them, point the installer program to that directory.

I've copied the CDs to a directory on the drive. When Windows wants the "disc" I pointed it to that directory and I've never had to insert a disc again.

o

I deleted Secunia. Tried all options, still no luck. Now it says "Office Hotfix is running on your system, try later."

Mike, I will start looking now, thanks.
Steve

o

Steve,

The info you posted says you don't have enough disk space. Can you fix that? It also says you didn't accept the EULA.

Susan

o

Nice find Susan ;~) Perhaps that will fix the problem.

o

Susan, my HD is 152 GB with 147 GB free space.
I don't know what EULA is, will research and get back with you.
Thanks much for the help.
Steve

o

Susan, I found out what EULA is, I just tried to run the 7 updates and didn't see anywhere to check the EULA.
Could you suggest a starting point for me?
Thanks again,
Steve

o

Good morning all,
I found where to click the EULA, I have "accepted" them many times, I just didn't know what they were called.
I am still having trouble getting past the area that says "Office Hot Fix is running". Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Steve

o

The old version of office as your using have always required the disc be inserted in the drive before it would allow some updates it is to verify your copy of office by the disc. I have had to do that every time I updated those old versions, nothing new there. If you can not find your disc you are probably out of luck unless you can find the folder to point it to as mentioned, no guarantee that will work though.

o

The old version of office as your using have always required the disc be inserted in the drive before it would allow some updates it is to verify your copy of office by the disc. I have had to do that every time I updated those old versions, nothing new there. If you can not find your disc you are probably out of luck unless you can find the folder to point it to as mentioned, no guarantee that will work though.

o

OK folks, enough is enough, I give up. I really appreciate all of you who helped me thru this mess. However, it's time for all of us to move on to better projects.
One last question for Ravencajun. If I deleted all the Office 2003 programs and replaced it with LibreOfficeCall,Writer and Impress would I basically have the same type of programs that I started with in Office 2003 and would I be able to e-mail letters written in writer to other Window users?
I think this has been said before, but this is a wonderful group.
Thanks again,
Steve

o

Well folks, it's me again. This time with a very serious problem. I have been keeping track of medical issues on individual monthly calendars made in Word. I keep each month in a seperate folder and leave them on a desktop. This morning I was planning on adding information to the September calendar and the Windows Installation pop-up came up followed by "Preparing to Install"/ Please wait while Windows configures your computer"/ Insert disc. I have never seen this while trying to access Word. Of course I have not backed up any of the informtion.
Once again, any and all help will be appreciated.
Steve

o

Did you install Libre Office yet? If not go ahead and install it. You do not have to uninstall MS Office first. After installing Libre Office right click on any word file and select open with then choose Libre Office Writer as the program to open it with. You have nothing to lose by trying it and it may solve your problem and let you uninstall MS Office without worrying about it.

o

Sorry not ignoring you I have contracted some type of flu or dreaded allergies and it has me down and out.

I agree with bob414 just go ahead and install Libre office and try it out no need to remove Office yet, I would also suggest you might want to try open office also to see which one fits the bill better for your needs. I have used Open office for years and have excellent success with it, remembering of course to save files in a format that is usable by MS office also.
Then you can remove which ever you decide you no longer need.

o

What a group!!! My files have been saved!!!
I down loaded Libre Office, my desk top icons all changed from Word to Librre. And yes, when I click to open, all my information is where it is suppost to be. Phew!
There is no reason I downloaded Libre first, just happened that way. Will try Openoffice at a later date. All is well except I can't send the files, it says I need to download Jave Runtime JRE. I have had it on my computer for a long time. Will research that issue tomorrow.
RC, I hope you have a quick recovery.
Another big thanks to all,
Steve

o

esteban if you do have java on your pc you need to make absolutely sure you are keeping it updated to the latest version and have removed all the old versions, most of the worst infections these days are coming through java vulnerabilities. To update java go to control panel select java, open the update tab and select to update now.
To make sure all old versions are removed use the free javara tool.
JavaRa

to make sure all of your items are updated so you are not open to infections you can scan your pc with this secunia tool.
Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)

It is extremely important to keep java, flash on all browsers and all adobe products updated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here