Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Does This Make You Feel?

Posted by damccoy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 20:06

Members constantly remind, maybe even preach, to other members the validity of safe surfing. We encourage proper Internet use, e-mail security, preventive procedures and detection protocols.

I am not one who runs around saying the sky is falling. However, take the time to read the link below. Please focus on the numbers shared. It shows why we as users can never drop our guard.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN Money

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Does This Make You Feel?

Very interesting but basically nothing new. Security firms had announced 3 or 4 years ago that the bad guys were winning. This is why I always maintain that all security companies collaborate in an attempt to stay ahead of the problem. They have to.

For we mere mortals it is another timely warning to make sure we have adequate protection and that it is always up to date and scans ran.

Sadly too few will take the time to read that article or any similar articles which will no doubt appear.

o

Interesting article. Hackers will follow technology where ever it goes. If there is a will, there's a way, unfortunately. We can never be too careful, and most think their devices are adaquately safe. Thanks for sharing.

o

I don't buy it. McAfee publishes this quarterly report to scare people and subliminally suggest that you too can have the extra protection provided by their activities and discoveries by using their products. Personally, I find McAfee's stuff too intrusive and heavy-handed, but they're better than many others.

If you were to read a quarterly report from the police in your area, detailing investigations, arrests and criminal activity disrupted, you'd move to somewhere else at your earliest opportunity.

It doesn't take a hard drive full of software or a page long checklist of do's and dont's to avoid problems. Backup important files offline, get a highly rated antivirus suite with cast iron intrusion protection, only go to mainstream sites, and be careful with or even avoid opening email links and attachments. If (following this approach) you have a problem, be consoled by knowing your unluckiness has defied the odds but likely the problem will be easily rectified.

If you want to worry about a real risk, try not to hae an accident when you go out driving tomorrow. Such a mishap is far more likely to happen to you than an internet infection (if you follow common sense in your usage)

o

The digestion, validation, and acceptance of any written product is up to the reader. My purpose of sharing the link is to reinforce with members the need to be vigilant.

I see too often a cavalier to perhaps negligent attitude towards safe surfing. It appears we all agree the need is extremely important.

DA

o

I have friends that do nothing but email, when I mention an antivirus they say my son takes care of that. Here is an example of their knowledge: One friend said she couldn't get onto her cable server. I told her I would look at her laptop for her. I figure she was infected, but whoever set up her PC did it like you all recommend in here and like I have mine set up, it was clean. I got on line with it no problem at all. After she picked it up, she called and said she still couldn't get on. I went over and asked where her modem was, she said "I don't know what that is". I asked where is the outlet you plug into, she said over there, it was a cross the room. I finally got on my hands and knees, which is a great accomplishment for me, it's more difficult than the PC. Her modem was not plugged in, her surge protector was not plugged in, no wonder she couldn't on the internet. I think a lot of people just use the internet as a tool like they do their washing machine. They don't know and don't care about the working part of it. As we all know that doesn't work for PCs. I know what I know because I was motivated to learn how to use it, really motivated. I kept saying if my 10 year old grandson can do this I can. In spite of how I might appear in here, I am very good at it.

As far as infections go I do the best I can and don't worry about it. Thinking the sky is falling takes the joy out of using this wonderful learning tool. My only problem now is remembering what I have learned. LOL

o

Sorry DA, my comment wasn't directed at you. I don't buy the premise of the article, it's a McAfee marketing piece, taken from a press release. All the same, it was good for you to point it.

I think I've said before, people need to learn to ignore what they read on the internet. Too many people go crazy reading on Monday that broccoli causes hair loss, then on Wednesday it cures indigestion and then on Saturday they announce that the previous announcements should be ignored because they realized afterward that the people studied were prone to hair loss and fleeting periods of indigestion.

So too with viruses and other malware "flare-up" reports and articles. The threats do exist but simple precautions virtually eliminate the likelihood of problems. But people still want to obsess over the risks. The articles and warnings come out regularly - the Christmas Day attack, the April Fools day attack, these things get periodically publicized, blah blah blah. These articles causes many people to worry and then relatively nothing happens. You can go nuts with all of it, or - ignore them, use common sense, and be happy. I do the latter and encourage everyone to do the same.

o

Bad guys.. some good guys seem to help them. Many use some standard installer package they like, to finish off their products.

Three weeks ago I looked for my favorite small and easy photo editor freeware, PhotoFiltre. Thought I got it direct from the software writers site.

Today I did a cloud scan,, Its 'Uninstall.exe' showed up as containing a virus and was going to be removed. Hah... so I quickly canceled that scan and uninstalled it with revo.

Sure enough after uninstall was a new named virus/spyware junk. Trojan-Clicker.Win32...

So it looks like, you've unchecked the free adware stuff that you don't want installed... then when you uninstall the program, its NOT going to ask you.. Its will give you the junk then, so he can guaranteed to make his $10 anyway you use it.

o

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Now I'm off to read the link :o)

Pooh Bear

o
OK, I read the link

SNAFU comes to mind. Just business as usual.
Develop safe surfing habits and you won't have to worry.
Have a reputable up-to-date antivirus program.
Have a firewall program. Use Super AntiSpyware and Malware Bytes.
Install FireFox and the Web of Trust add on.
Back Up Back Up Back Up, and Back Up some more, and often.
These few simple precautions can prevent a lot of grief and headaches.

Pooh Bear

o

Emma,
"As far as infections go I do the best I can and don't worry about it. Thinking the sky is falling takes the joy out of using this wonderful learning tool." Yup!

Snidely,
"The threats do exist but simple precautions virtually eliminate the likelihood of problems." Yup!

".....use common sense....." Yup again!

PB,

"Develop safe surfing habits and you won't have to worry." Yup!

Now if only members would listen. That is the only reason I posted the link. Thanks.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here