Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Norton removal

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 19:37

I have a Windows XP computer which I cannot connect to internet.

I have a feeling that an old version of Norton which I no longer want to pay and activate is doing something funny.

Is there an external software that I can use to clean it out? since I cannot connect to the Internet?

Thanks for helping

dcarch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Norton removal

Under the circumstances couldn't why not remove it in the control panel and programs.

o

Hi dcarch,

Yes! There is a special removal tool just for Norton that will cleanse all residual files leftover.

Do you have another AV presently installed? If so, which one. I really don't want to provide instructions till I know for sure how your security is set up at the moment.

Do you have a Firewall installed? XP has a pretty good inbound Firewall but no out bound Firewall.

Let me know the above and we can continue from there.

Thanks! :)

o
RE: Norton removal tool needed

Hi vala55,

Uninstalling Norton through the Add/Remove programs can leave behind residual files that can and will interfere with connectivity. Just helped a girl at Geeks To go straighten this issue out.

See link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer won't connect to Internet under Normal mode

o

I know, I should not have replied to this, I thought that if she could not connect this was a good way. I have always removed Norton this way and never had a problem. When I reformatted last week I Googled how to uninstall it and was told through the control panel in several places.

o

Oh no, vala55, you were correct. You do have to uninstall through the Add/Remove programs as you said, then use the uninstaller to remove the residuals that are left behind. I just wanted to make sure it has been uninstalled before I go further with instructions, and if any other AV had been installed. 2 AV's is a no no. Norton is so bloated the leftovers can be a problem even if it is not in use. Same with any AV.

@dcarch,

Can you boot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking? If you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking and connect to the internet then it is more then likely an issue with Norton. Here's how:

As the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press your Enter key. Then see if you can connect. The AV will not run while in Safe Mode.

Is there another AV on the computer? Let me know. There is a sequence that should be followed to keep you safe.

PS: Norton includes a Firewall. If you have another Firewall installed that can be an issue too! Same as AV'S. 2 Firewalls is a no no.

Donna

o

Generally, you remove applications by using the Windows utility for the task, but Norton Antivirus tends to get in a bit deeper into the system, so it's trickier to remove it completely. Using application remover or the Norton removal tool is always recommend. Most Anti virus programs have an uninstall utility that should be employed to make sure all files are removed.

o

OK, I went into Safe mode, tried to go on line. Did not work. :-(

I know the connections are OK because I can use my e. mail, and Antispryware can get updates.

I have:

1. Windows Defender
2. SuperAntispyware
3. Malwarebytes

dcarch

o

In normal mode try to go to google.

Tell me what browser you're using and the error you get.

Here is a link that might be useful: google

o

if and when you can another good option to try is app remover it is specially for removing the ones like Norton and McAfee.
Using AppRemover

You could download it on another pc and put it on that pc and run it possibly?

o

"Posted by zep516 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 23:42

In normal mode try to go to google.
Tell me what browser you're using and the error you get.
Here is a link that might be useful: google"

In Normal mode, it can't connect to Internet, therefore it can't go to "Google"

I have Windows Internet Explorer. When I click on it, the Explorer screen comes up and says "connecting", after a while it fails to connect and goes away.

ravencajun, I will give that a try. Thanks.
----------------------
By the way, I have scannned with SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes, nothing found, but Task Manger shows CPU activity goes from 0% to 65% use with no program running.

dcarch

o

Well, it did not work using AppRemover.

I got this message:

"This MSI must be launched through setup"

dcarch

o

Lets back up for a moment, if as you said you could not connect to the Internet in Safe Mode With Networking Then this is not a Norton Problem, so you need to start to look other things like modem, router. When you booted to the Advanced options menu by holding the f8 key down during restart are you sure you used the arrow key to select ----> Safe Mode With Networking then hit enter and then try to go to Google.com with your browser you usually use and as always try another browser.

Please tell us how this computer is connected to the internet via modem, router ect.

o

Have you tried more than one browser to get online? Use the computer you are on to download Firefox, Chrome, Opera or any other browser to try. As you are getting updates then it is reasonable to assume the connection is good for the troublesome computer.

o

OK, I went to "Safe Mode With Networking", I was able to connect to Google, Yahoo, etc.

I tried to run AppRemover in Safe Mode, got the same error message.

I went back to Normal Mode, still connot connect to Internet, and Norton is still in my computer. :-(

dcarch

o

Posted by owbist "Have you tried more than one browser to get online? Use the computer you are on to download Firefox, Chrome, Opera or any other browser to try. As you are getting updates then it is reasonable to assume the connection is good for the troublesome computer. "

I only have Internet Explorer, without a connection, I guess I can't download anything else.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here