Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A problem installing easy list on ie 9

Posted by EmmaR (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 18:01

I installed this on my new acer IE 10 with no problems, but it won't install on my older Vista with IE 9. Adblock plus installed okay. I did googled with no luck.

I sure am glad they made this for IE, it really stops the ads just like on FF.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A problem installing easy list on ie 9

What happens when you try to install or download it?

What does Google say when you Google IE 9 Easylist

Anything of note?

Joe

o

Good morning Zep here is what came up. ad block plus went on just fine and so did the easy privacy list.

_______
The webpage cannot be displayed

Most likely cause:

•Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

What you can try:

Search online for a program you can use to view this web content.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

o

The webpage cannot be displayed ,

I'm sorry what web page cannot be displayed?

o

Sorry I am still half a sleep.

The original easy list was already displayed. When I click on add to adblock plus that message comes up. There is no web page suppose to be displayed..... it is just suppose to add the list.

o

That's an odd one, only think I could suggest is to reinstall both in case a corrupted download occurred.

How to remove Adblock+ See link in case you need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ehow.com/how_8522668_rid-adblock-plus.html

o

Thanks Zep, It is for the PC I am setting up for my niece, I have already set this up on my two. IE is very different, I can find the add ons, but didn't see a way to remove them. When I rebooted that PC it came on with a message that said one of your add ons is slowing down your PC. I clicked to open and it was WOT. I disabled it, but that didn't help my problem with the list.

The list is not that important, I just thought to help her if she still uses IE.

o

I rarely use IE but had, mostly out of curiosity, installed Adblock Plus in IE10 awhile back.

The only options to select filter list(s) that I see are gotten to by clicking the Adblock Plus icon, selecting "Settings", and selecting a list(or combination of lists) from the available drop-down box:

BTW, "Easy List" was selected automatically for me at the time installation. At no point did I have to manually add it.

Also, I just now installed Adblock Plus in IE8. It took one restart of IE to see the icon, and another restart to get the "Options" button to function, but after two restarts, the filter options look just like the above image(for IE10).

I don't have IE9, but would think it would be the same? Or not?

Sorry, maybe I'm totally misunderstanding though, I too often do. :)

Have you tried the Adbock Plus open forums? They have one for IE now, no registration required to post. I think the Adblock Plus developers participate. I know at least some of the list authors do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus for IE open forum

o

Thank you Chuggerguy, I will try what you did and see if it works. I did see those options but just glanced at it and thought I would do it the way I always do.....big mistake.

o

Chugger, there was a list and easy list was in the box, nothing to click on for a choice. I have contacted them and am waiting for an email. I disabled all of my ad ons except adblock plus and that didn't help.

o

I think all you have to do is select the filter list(s) you want to use from the selection box and that's it.

Actually, if I randomly select various choices from the filter selection list, I can watch %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Adblock Plus for IE\patterns.ini change, both in size and time-stamp.

You're welcome to try this if you want. I put it together when I was trying to see how certain sites detect the use of adblocker and pop up a "Please disable your adblocker you dirty rat" type message.

What it does is attempt to use a JavaScript file called "advertisement.js" to write a hidden div(ision) to the page. The page then checks for the existence of that hidden div(ision).

If the div(ision) exists, it assumes you must not be using a working adblocker.

If the div(ision) does not exist, it assumes your adblocker prevented it's creation and thus must be working properly.

I simplified/modified what I found from a "search", so can't guarantee how accurate it is.

Hopefully they'll email you back.

Personally, if it's blocking ads, I'd think it's working fine though.

o

The privacy list is there in the ad ons, so don't know why the easy list wouldn't show if it was there. There is a place that says your privacy or something like that and there is nothing listed there. I am going to forget about it. I hate to give up but it's really not that important.

Thanks guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here