Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I get these option Windows Software Updates?

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 16:19

I generally follow the advice here and get the high priority Windows Updates (except for net framework updates). However, last night my daughter came home with an English paper on her flash drive - to work on the paper at home. Her school has a recent version of Microsoft Word - and hers at home is from 2002, I believe (maybe 2003). Before she could read the program at home, she was prompted to get a Microsoft Word update that would translate her document to a format that her Word could use. I may have that backwards - it may have updated her Word program to be able to read it.

At any rate, that got me thinking that perhaps some other non-high priority updates might be useful. She has a dell dimension 4500 - Windows XP sp3 (just upgraded to 1.5 GB RAM).
I just checked and here are some optional software updates that I wonder if we should get:

1 - Update for Windows XP (KB971513) - the latest Microsoft user Interface Automation (whatever that is)

2 - Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP

3 - Windows Media Player 11

4 - update for root certificates (KB931125)

Thanks.
Lynn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I get these option Windows Software Updates?

If you have doubts, you should google the individual KB numbers to see what each does. The following IS NOT a recommendation. I have 2 Dells-one is 2 years and the other is 3. I have accepted every critical and important Windows Update that was offered. None of them has caused any problem that I know of. I DO NOT accept any driver updates from Windows Update. If you ever think you need an updated driver, you should consult the manufacturer of that device. YMMV -your mileage may vary-

o

The document is in .docx format which versions of word before 2007 will not read without installing that update. I would go ahead and install it but there ways around it. You could install the free Open Office which will read it or you can send it an online translator which can send it back as a .doc file which her word can read. Sounds like it will be happening again so I would update word.

o

I installed the Search 4.0 for XP and did not like it at all, so I was able to uninstall and go back to the original search function. You might give it a try and see if she likes it.

I have Windows Media Player 11, which is the latest version that will work on XP. No problems with it at all.

As for the other two, I do not recall what I did about them. Suggest you do as azinoh suggested and find out what they do.

o

Thanks everyone. I already did the Word update bc. I realized that my daughter would be continuing to bring work back and forth from school. I'm pleasantly surprised that an older version of Microsoft Word is update-able - without being asked to pay for an upgrade. Bob - thanks for explaining what that update is doing. Now I'll know what .docx documents are. I have an older Word myself and all the files are .doc - but it explains the trouble I've had in an organization where we send each other word documents - some must have the newer word and some the old.

I will get the Windows Media Player 11. That's a program she uses.

One of the reasons I asked here is bc. googling often gets me descriptions/info I don't understand. This is what I found on the update for root certificate:

"This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

I have no idea what that means and whether I should get it.

What I found when I googled Update for Windows XP (KB971513) sounded either scary (maybe it would mess up the computer's functioning) - or at least not clear as to it's value - so I'll skip it unless somebody hear knows differently.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

KB971513, it's a simple update to allow xp/vista/win7 to all talk to each other easily for things. Make yourself fresh restore point.. then Intsll it !!!

o
What computer l fits this description

Processor: 1.6 GHz or better Intel-based processor (older processors such as the G4 or G5 are not supported at this time)
RAM: 1 Gigabyte (higher recommended)
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard
CD-ROM & Floppy Drive: 32X Speed CD-ROM R/W, R/W DVD, or a 3 1/2 Floppy (one backup device is needed: CD, DVD, or floppy)
Sound Card & Speakers: 24 bit sound card and a set of speakers
Monitor: 17" Color monitor capable of 1024x768 resolution or higher
Hard Drive: 20 Gigabytes with at least 10 Gigabytes of free space
Required Java Software: Java 12.1.0 (Release 1) for Mac OS X 10.5.x
Required Browser Software: Safari 3.x.x for Mac OS X 10.5.x, (Darwins IE 6.0 CrossOvers or Parallels)

o

do not do the search one it is a problem child.

o

I have an older version of MicroSoft Office ( incldes MS word) and did install the converter from MicroSoft. It worked.

What I think your problem is file from the school compter was made with a new version of MSword. Look at the file extension in hte file name. If it is .docx, then its the new format. Older MSword files have extension, .doc .

The converter will reformat the file to the older version. If a new feature was used, that formatting may be be lost.

One way to avoid this problem is to back-export the file to an older version (that matches your version) when copying from the school computer.

I'd install the converter anyway because on occassion, I receive files written by the latest version of MSword.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here