Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with Superantispyware

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 15:45

I tried to update this program and got the following message: Checking for definitions--failed, AND in a bright red lined message--Definition error--
What happened?
Also my computer is not only running very slow, and part of the problem is my Internet today, but takes forever to bring something up on the screen after I change programs.
I am looking for a good cleaner program and yes I have run both spy ware and malware programs.
Thanks
Marie

I have XP with Internet Explorer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with Superantispyware

Hi, A few exercises to do below:

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer From here click Here
to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programswhen run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

NEXT
Go to the link below and do a defrag, only a defrag I don't suggest anything else on the page.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Finally Lets look at a log file that may provide a wealth of information.

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

Then do this

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under System tools click "Open Uninstall Manager" over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

Joe.

o
tfc

What TFC Does for you, in case you're interested.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, TFC should reboot the computer, if it does not ask, pleas do so yourself.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

o

SuperAntiSpyware has a new version today
Sounds like it messed up when it tried to update.

Or the computer has a program that purposely disabled it knowing their software would be discovered and removed.

o

Yes I got the new version today too, no issues. Not really looking at the SuperAntispyware issue here, looking at the compliant of the slow computer, so I'm going to look at the entire computer, clean it up, update where necessary etc, if the user is willing. The SuperAntispyware issue will probably just vanish as we move along, also user has mentioned internet issue so that's probably the problem with the update for SuperAntispyware.

o

I just upgraded to the new version and all went went well.

Had a problem with MS Essentials a couple of days ago, said there was no internet connection. Managed to fix the problem. First problem I have had with it.

o

I got an update notice from SAS today and tried to update but no updates showed up. I waited a while in case it was working but then closed it down.

o

Zeb--did you get my message? TFC cannot be run from a temp. folder Please down load it to your desktop or other suitable location.

o

I did get the message, never seen the error before. Post at the forum not e-mail.

o
RE: problem with Superantispyware///

Sorry, about the mix up about contacting you. Will try it again.

o

That's ok....I'm not sure what that error is or how to fix it, TFC should run from the desktop and automatically runs from that location only. weird! I would Delete the icon (TFC) reboot and re-download it. See what that does.

Joe

o

By default TFC should download directly to the desktop. Do you get the option where to direct the download to? If so make sure to choose desktop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here