Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uniblu Registry Booster

Posted by granniek (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 15:45

I downloaded a photo editing program that was recommended to me. Then I got a pop-up saying I could get a free scan of my registry to check for errors. I clicked to do the scan...they tell me they found 207 errors and want me to purchase the program to correct the problems. Is this a good program? My computer has slowed down and it would be nice to have it performing better. Thanks for your input.

Sheila:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uniblu Registry Booster

If you want a registry cleaner. Dont use that one. Uniblue has broken things in the past for me. Most are easy to fix but if you dont understand the Registry.. could be problems.
Uniblu offers you a free registry scan & then wants your money to fix the few errors it found is almost like scammer theft.

PowerTools Lite has been around for years& free.. Basicly it is his paid version of JV16 without all the extra's. Below link is a link to it.. Mostly its safe unless you use the advanced more aggressive settings & then you would want to have an idea how the registry works.

Most people will be afraid of registry cleaner & cry wolf... OMG. Really pretty simple stuff if you understand the structure of the registry. Mild ones just clean out junk and its doubtful it will speed up your computer - But it might.

PTLite is ok from my experiences.. kind of mild, and safe much like the CCleaner registry cleaner function is, but a tad more cleaning in the basic default setting. Do make a fresh restore point before using it, will make yourself safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.macecraft.com/powertoolslite2011/

o

Unless you are experienced with the registry and are able to decipher it's entries leave it alone. If you do decide to touch it please first weigh the potential negative versus the possible positive.

DA

o

granniek,

NO! It is not a good program! Never use a registry cleaner...EVER!

You got the pop-up after installing the photo editing program???? Are you sure? That sounds like you installed a rogue program. Rogue software does just that. It installs and scans your computer then tells you that you have hundreds of issues and you have to pay to have them fixed. Actually, what the scan finds is fictitious.

If your computer is slow I would have an expert check it out for malware.

Below is a link to LandzDown. Click the link I provided below. Register and click on Analysis and Malware Removal then click on Log Posting Instructions and follow the directions to post the logs.

Corrine will be more then happy to help you get your computer back to running in tip top shape again!

Here is a link that might be useful: LandzDown

o

Computers generally slow down over time due to an accumulation of programs running in the background. Major errors in the registry could interfere with the functioning of your computer, but there are often many small errors that build up in the registry that don't have any effect, and typically aren't the main reason for slowdowns. A typical type of registry error occurs when you uninstall a program or install an update, and there are some extra entries left around in the registry. While these are "errors," they aren't hurting anything or causing problems by sitting there. Even if you do have 207 registry errors, they could all be trivial. Bottomline: don't buy this program, particularly in the expectation of your computer running better. There are ways to cleanup and speedup your computer, but they involve doing other things than fooling with the registry.

o

Thank you for the quick responses. Kudzu9, thanks for the detailed explanation of what is happening with the registry. Uniblu made it sound scary to this computer illiterate!

Bbbluz, I will use your link. I remember Corrine helping me thru problems with my computer about a year ago. She was very easy to work with.

Obviously this forum has a moderator. To the person who originally posted with the negative statement...yes, I'm still making big mistakes, but thanks to this forum I AM learning!

o

Then I got a pop-up saying I could get a free scan of my registry to check for errors. I clicked to do the scan...they tell me they found 207 errors and want me to purchase the program to correct the problems

Hi granniek,

I ran the Uniblu registry scan too for test reasons and it said my computer has 114 errors. To fix them I would have had to purchase the program also. This is not an infection though as in Rogue scanner and is typical in some registry cleaner offerings. You're not infected with anything. Just make sure you uninstall it from the add / remove or programs & features list as it does create a start up entry in the registry.

o

Thx Zep516, I have done the uninstall. It kept giving me a pop-up.

Sheila :)

o

Let me know if it comes back? If your computer has slowed down I would be willing to look at a few things for you. I would need a Hijackthis log from you though, so I can see exactly what's running at start up & other causes.

o
RE: Will do zep.

I appreciate the offer!!!

o

granniek,

I was just helping someone elsewhere on another forum and found a link for the Adobe stand alone installer. Guess what the very first thing on the page displayed? Yep! You guessed it! Uniblu Registry Booster! Below that was a link that I thought was for the Adobe installer but as it began to install I noticed that it was not the Adobe that was installing, it was the Uniblu Registry Booster.

Those sites really push the ads for registry cleaners and I believe that you may not even have installed the Photo Editing program at all. Look in your Add/Remove programs or Programs and Features list to see if it is there.

But yes, if you are experiencing a slow down on your computer, have Corrine help you. I can help to an extent by having you run a few scans and posting a log but if any malware is found at all I'd have to send you to Corrine due to the fact that while I'm in training for the removal of malware I can not help those infected.

If you choose to post at LandzDown I can follow your thread there as Corrine works here magic.

Donna

Donna

o
RE: Uniblu Registry Booster 2

You know fellow members, I hate the fact that you can not edit these posts!!!!! argh!

:)

o

I've finally had time to get back to dealing with this problem. I've posted on LandsDown, no response yet. I have an 'open' day tomorrow, perhaps I'll be able to connect with Corrine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here