Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About getting FF 6.0.22

Posted by sue_va (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 15:26

Just read the thread that lotodig posted re: FF add-ons. I didn't want to hijack, so starting a new thread.

Lotodig said "Sometimes I live in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' land of senior citizens." I live there, too. I'm still using FF 3.6.22. I've read here about problems with getting the newer versions. (I also still have XP SP3.)

What problems might I run into if I get v. 6.0.2? If I do remember correctly, from reading here, I should download it, uninstall 3.6.22, and then run 6.0.2. Right?

TIA

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About getting FF 6.0.22

You really need to keep the Browser up-dated. You're running a very old version. The only problems that may occur is an add / on may not be compatible with the new version 6.0.2.

Note: You do not need to uninstall anything. Just download the latest version and install it.

Nothing wrong with XPSP3!

If you need the Firefox link for version 6.0.2 let us know.

I always find it using Google I type in Firefox6.0.2
And look for the Mozilla link.

o

I had upgraded from Firefox 3.6.20 not long ago and had put it off because of the Add-ons not being compatible.

I now have Firefox 6.0.2 and there are some Add-ons that I found to be incompatible though I was discussing this with Corrine at LandZdown and she introduced me to the Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.9 and since I have installed that all my Add-ons work just fine. The link for that Add-on is below.

Stay away from Firefox 4. As zep516 mentions above, you do not need, nor do you want to uninstall the previous version when you upgrade. When you install over the previous version all your settings and bookmarks will be saved. If you uninstall then reinstall you will lose everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.9

o

For me 6.0 and 6.01 worked just fine. 6.02 was a little finicky. If I stopped a page before it was completely loaded and attempted to utilize one of bookmarks on the Toolbar the bookmark was dormant. To resolve this I had to close FF and then reopen.

I just re-installed 6.02 today to give it another try. I want to be as current as possible due to v7.0 being on the immediate horizon.

Sue,

From a security viewpoint to have an archaic and leaky browser so as to save a couple add/ons is not prudent.

The link below will offer you a portal to any version of FF you see fit. Just avoid the betas.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Filehippo.

o

I just tried to upgrade to the most recent stable FF version and encountered the same issue that I recall experiencing the last time I tried upgrading (from FF3 to FF5): After installation FF would not open ! I clicked on both my quick launch shortcuts (for two different profiles), but nothing happened. I also clicked on the desktop icon that FF put there during the upgrade, but that wouldn't open FF either ! So, once again I'm back to reliable FF 3.6 (3.6.22).

o

I just finished with getting 6.0.2, and the Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.9. Small smile

Everything is working fine so far, including the add-ons I already had. Small smile

Again I thank all the helpers here. This forum has kept me and my pc going for years, and allowed me to learn so much. I marvel at the collective wisdom here.

Not2bright, I'm sorry you are having trouble with the upgrade. Don't give up. Post some info about what you have done so far to try to get it, and these good people will work with you.

Sue

o

I have used this program for many years on a weekly basis. It keeps my windows machines up to date with the latest patches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

o

Thank you for the add- compatibility link. I questioned a while ago, did everything that was suggested and nothing worked. I have been running my FF in safe mode since and today I came across this thread early this AM. I have been on and off the computer since and no freeze ups. Again thank you!!!

o

:( I spoke to soon. Late yesterday I logged on the computer and had a freeze and again early this AM. Back to running with add-ons disabled. The freeze up seems to come when I am scrolling or opening a page in a new tab.

o

In the browser click Help then click "About Firefox" Let it update it should by itself, if there is an option to choose up-date choose it.

o

The horizon was even closer than I thought. Firefox 7.0 was released today. I'm going to give it a try as I am still having that concern with 6.0.2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filehippo

o

I got the FF 7.0 update yesterday. I only have a couple of add-ons, and they work fine. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of difference. Of course, I only use FF for a couple of websites since I use Chrome for everything else.

o

Well, I just tried it again, with FF 7. This time I uninstalled the previous version (3.6.22) and installed the new. I then restarted the computer just to be sure. But FF would not open, even though Task Manager said it was running. So, I re-uninstalled it and am once again back to FF 3.6. I'm perfectly happy with this version and am not in a rush to upgrade, but I'm definitely going to have to research how to resolve this issue before I try it yet again. :-)

o

Don't know if it's your answer but I remember a couple of times in the past where I had to close firefox or mozilla in the task manager before it would start.

o

Not2bright are you sure the FF screen was not up in the top left corner about an inch and a half by maybe 3 eights high? I had this happen a couple of times and wondered where it was

o

Just got my first SOS in regards to FF7.0. A friend of mine had it automatically update resulting in the browser bogging down her surfing on many of the sites she visited. I removed FF7 and re-installed FF6.0. Everything returned to her satisfaction.

DA

o

owbist,

Yes, I checked. It's not hiding anywhere on the desktop. It's 'running' (according to the task manager) but not opening on the monitor. ??? When I re-install v3.6 over v6 or 7 it opens just fine. Odd.

o

I changed my mind. After dealing with the SOS, and reviewing the first page of our forum which contains 6 recent Firefox concerns in various versions I am thinking this is really time to leave well enough alone by staying with v6.0

Could the accelerated rate of Mozilla's releases be coming back to haunt Firefox's stability and reliability? Time will tell.

DA

o

Firefox 7.0.1 was released today due to a need for a fix,

"- Fixed a rare issue where some users could find one or more of their add-ons hidden after a Firefox update".

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Filehippo

o

"When I re-install v3.6 over v6 or 7 it opens just fine. Odd."

I rarely recommend overwrites and usually only as a last chance or if the manufacturer requires it. An overwrite increases the chance of concerns or conflicts created by obsolete or unnecessary code being on the system. I would never recommend overwriting when returning to a prior version.

Firefox stores preferences, add-ons, bookmarks, and settings in a location outside the application folder. To retain all this material when uninstalling a version of FF only requires a denial when offered the opportunity. I just did it when I returned to v6.0 from v6.0.2. Everything as described above was still there.

DA

o

Hi, DA

Yes, after trying the 'overwrite' approach, I did try the upgrade (to versions 6 and 7) using the 'uninstall previous version' approach but with the same result. FF would not open.

Update: I was able to open the default profile finally (yay !) by opening FF (6) in safe mode (holding Shift key while opening the program). I then disabled all add-ons, closed FF, re-opened it normally and re-enabled the add-ons one by one. That seemed to work alright.

I then tried it with the second, non-default profile (mine). I successfully opened FF in safe mode (yay again !) and disabled all add-ons, but FF would still not open normally. I then went in (via safe mode) and disabled all plugins as well. But still would not open normally.

Since the other person using this computer uses the default profile -- and since I have limited time to work on this issue -- I once again reset things back to good ol' reliable FF3.6 until I have more time to investigate why the secondary profile does not open normally after having all add-ons disabled.

o

I saw a computer firefox not starting.. but was in the taskman. & yes uninstall reinstall still didnt work.

Revo full aggressive uninstall then reinstall worked. So she lost her personal info. Not a big deal to her. I maybe could have installed chrome or something and imported all firefox bookmarks .. same on fresh install of firefox. Or exported or looked for a backup & save my bookmarks method.

o

investigate why the secondary profile does not open normally

multiple-firefox-profiles?????

See if any help at link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: how-to-run-multiple-firefox-profiles

o

Hi, zep

Thanks for the link. But, just so I'm clear, although I don't run -- or want to run -- multiple profiles simultaneously, are you suggesting I do so now in order to see if that would resolve the FF opening issue ?

o
More

No it just looks like you are, default profile and secondary profile so I was confused a bit and thought you were running 2 profiles.

When you have issues like that always go directly to the Mozilla folder in the program files folder on the C drive and try to open the Firefox.exe file from within the folder just double click it, that's where Firefox lives. First make sure there are no instances of Firefox already running in the Task Manger. If there are right click on the Firefox.exe in there and choose End process

To get to Firefox Mozilla Folder:

Open My computer, click local disk (c) look for program files folder double click it in that folder look for Mozilla folder double click it in there you will see Firefox.exe double click it. See what happens there.

I also would consider a clean install as outlined in the link that means personal settings, bookmarks, add/ ons would be deleted. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make cake. You can back up bookmarks if there important to you. You can always get the add / ons back.

See if Firefox opens directly from the Mozilla folder in program files folder first I'm curious about that.

Make sure Internet Explore is working so you can reinstall Firefox and I recommend version 7. If you decide to reinstall a clean slate and that's what I would do at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clean install

o

Hi, zep

Thanks for the further information, and my apologies for not being more clear about the profiles.

Actually, I did try opening FF by doing what you said (going to the FF folder and clicking on the .exe file). Nothing. :-(

I may eventually try your 'clean install' suggestion. Maybe I can use MozBackup to keep from losing all our profile information.

o

Get rid of the profile information all of it, it's probably what's causing the issue and start fresh.....

o

Get rid of the profile information all of it, it's probably what's causing the issue and start fresh.....

(Cringe....) If I must, I must...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here