Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannot do search in the Outlook

Posted by azmom (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:08

My home PC has Vista, and Outlook 2007.
I only have 160 mails in the Inbox, the rest of the mails are kept in Archieve folders.

Nonetheless, I cannot do any search in any of the mail folder without getting a message " Outlook is currently indexing your items. Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed. 9780 items remaining in "personal Folders". 14377 items remaining across all open mailboxes".

I may have 2000 eamils in total, I have no clue where the "9780 and 14377 items" come from.

Please help with this issue, should I re-install Outlook?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannot do search in the Outlook

You might want to talk a look at the attached Microsoft help page. Indexing is part of Windows itself, not Outlook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outlook Indexing

o

Mike, thank you for the inputs. Unfortuntely, the indexing still does not work.

When I double clicked Index Options, the new window showed "Indexing is not running". The "modify" botton was inactive. Only the "Advanced" botton was active. When clicked on it, it asked for permission to run "Advance Index Option". I clicked OK. Then I got another window, the only active choice was "restore defaults", then a message apeared saying " delete index...next time when your computer restarts it complete rebuild locations using complete index default settings. This might take a long time". I followed the instructions, restarted the computer, it still showed "indexing is not running", Outlook still refused to search.

What should I do now?

o

Might want to take a look at the link attached...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vista Indexing

o

Mike,

Thank you again. Tried everyting, nothing worked.

Purchasing a PC wih Vista is one of the biggest regrets in my life.

I am seriously thinking about installing a new OS.... or asking Santa for a new Apple.....

o

I have a PC with Vista and haven't had any major problems.

Have you tried running a check disk?

Click Start
In the Search box type CMD and hit enter. A window will open with a command prompt.
At the command prompt type CHKDSK /F and hit enter
You'll get a message about the volume being in use and asking you if you want to do it on restart. Hit Y (I don't think you need to hit enter but it won't hurt anything if you do). Close the window and reboot your computer. Check disk will run as your computer reboots. Depending on the size of your drive, it may take a while to finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: CHKDSK

o

As I just commented in another thread.....

Can you access your email account directly using a browser? That might be easier for you, and allow you to do the searching you want. Or maybe not, it's easy enough to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here