SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Cloud Back-up Services

Jodi_SoCal
10 years ago

I am considering using a cloud backup service. I'm a graphic designer and photographer and have a lot of client files and photos on my computer. I have three external drives that I've backed up to but would like to really consolidate into one spot for easier retrieval. I will still manually copy the really important stuff to my local external drives but need more assurance I have everything in one spot.

I've read several reviews of the different cloud services but have not really figured out which one to go with yet. One service that really baffles me is Carbonite. They have come recommended by others as a good, stable service which has been around for a while. Yet, photographer friends of mine are losing sleep over the loss of their professional photos that were backed up using that service. They apparently didn't back up at least once in 30 days and Carbonite deleted everything in their account. I didn't believe it and went in to read the contract rules and indeed, that can happen.

Another thing I've noticed is that some services require you to manually back up. Others will only back up certain types of files. I personally don't want to find out one day that though I thought I'd been doing a complete backup to the cloud that things like bookmarks and who knows what else didn't get backed up either manually or automatically. In other words, I don't need any more surprises in my computer life. Been there. Done that.

Any tips on the pros and cons of using the cloud? Any specific options I should look for? Services I should check out?

Please don't tell me to stick with local back up only. I do that already and it's not completely working for me. I need more for peace of mind. I just went through three months of hard drive issues and once I finally just broke down and bought a new computer, pulling all my backed up files off of three different drives was a miserable job. And I still lost important files and bookmarks.

Thanks!

Comments (13)