Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do I Delete Previous Owners Information

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 14:12

I just got a HP 210-1000 Mini from a friend. I've already deleted the pictures,and some other things..but I don't have a clue how to change the name on it. Can someone help me out? I'll need "toddler talk"! lol The girl I got it from is named Cyndi.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do I Delete Previous Owners Information

That involves going into the registry and editing. If you have some level of computer skill, it's fairly simple. However, if your computer skills are as basic as you suggest, I'm reluctant to tell you how to do it: if you make a mistake while you are in the registry, you can render your computer unusable.

Have you considered changing your name to Cyndi?

o

LOL at changing my name!!! I guess that's an option!

Can you explain how to do it...I'm sure my son would understand it. He's worked on his and my computers through the years.

o

What operating system is it?

o

I generally ignore it, rarely put my real name on anything anyway. So Cyndi how are you? LOL

o

Sorry..it's VISTA.

o

For XP,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310441

Or

6th one down on the left in the list Change Registered Owner and Organization,

http://dougknox.com/

o

Cyndi are you going to change your user name so that we will be able to better recognize you? "country_bumpkin_al" is much too long unless you are a fast typist.

o
Change user name.

See link, not sure if this will go as far as changing user accounts though. Try it and let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: vista4beginners.com

o

Is the operating system Vista or Windows 7 Starter? I ask because I have the same model HP Mini and mine came with Win 7.

o

Looks like it's Windows 7 Ultimate. I've managed to change the computer name...just can't get it changed in the task manager!:(

o

Good point kudzu9.
The fix is the same for windows 7 and vista though. Probably easier to give the user the registry fix, That being said it's only going to change the name as my Computer shows it though, unless you have a different registry fix then me. It's to my knowledge will not change the user name as it shows in the task manager or c users documents account etc. I believe that's what the user wants to do. The only way I know to fully do that is to reinstall windows. Like you said it's a simple task to change the registered name in the registry.

o

The name that is showing there is the name of the user account running the programs. You're probably using the account that was set up originally. You need to create a new user account.

Go to the start menu. There is a list of programs on the left and some additional links on the right. One of the links on the right is for control panel.

Go into the control panel and one of the options is User Accounts and Family Safety. One of the options there is Add or Remove user accounts. You can just click the existing user (Cyndi) and choose Change the account name. I think that will do it. If not, Create a new account and delete the old one.

o
Thanks

Thanks bpgreen,

I'm going to try it on an old xp machine I have. It currently has my brothers name on it. We had a discussion about this a while back See link, the user never reported back with results.. It certainly sounds like that would do it. Let you know how it works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dicussion thread

o

bpgreen..I've managed to set up a new account (User Admin.), but that's not working for what I want to do.

So, I did this:
1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.

3. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

4. In regedit, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

And, was going to try and change it like this

To Change Registered Owner -
A) In the right pane, right click on RegisteredOwner and click on Modify.

B) Type in the information you want and click on OK to apply.

BUT..there is nothing showing up on the right side. See?

o

Picture isn't great but it looks like you didn't highlight 'CurrentVersion' ,,,,,click it once. Then scroll down to RegisteredOwner & double click it. Change name.

o

Thanks Mikie! That worked and I was able to change the Registered Owner. But...the original problem is still there. I go to the Task Manager and under Processes..her name is still there. When I click on Users (in Task Manager) her name is the only one that shows up. Under ID is has 1, Status says "Active" and Session is "Console".

o

The user account change does not work on XP either. I have never been able to get rid of my brothers name on the XP machine he gave me long ago his account was deleted and a new account made but his name continues to show, changing the registered owner is not going to work either. I just did it on windows 7 with the registry edit, changed the name to Dave, The task manager still shows Joe. It's a weird thing and I have never seen it done successfully to fully remove the old users name, except to reinstall.

o
more

If you right click the users name in the task manager, then choose log off and re- log back in, with a new account created in your name that might work.

o

Vista here.... Control Panel, User Accounts.
I've changed my name, and my task manager doesnt show my old name.

If I remember correctly it takes a bit of time, to rewrite all the user account settings/security files.

I run Netplwiz.exe to let windows auto start with a password as I'm the only user. No pauses for login for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i53.tinypic.com/2djrqec.jpg

o

I give up! lol There is just no way to get her name off the Processes in the Task Manager! In the whole scheme of things, I don't guess it's all that important..just annoying!

o

I never figured out the XP machine either and too gave up.

o

Here is the best info I have found on the subject so far.

How to Change a User Account Name in Vista

"Even though the user name will be changed in the Start menu and in User Accounts (Control Panel), this will not change the C:\Users\(user name) folder name. DO NOT CHANGE the user folder name manually. If you do, you will have a lot of problems with that user account since everything is still referenced to the original C:\Users\(user name) folder name. The only way to change the C:\Users\(user name) folder name is to either create a new user account and delete the old account, or reinstall Vista."

Here is a link that might be useful: user-account-name

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here