SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Fraud call & Win Office Not Activated Probs.

chas045
11 years ago

I suppose that these problems are unrelated but perhaps not. I got what appears to be a phishing phone call today, but I have also been getting warning microsoft notices that my copy of office is 'not activated' which I can unfortunately believe.

On the 'not activated' issue; I got this vostro200 dell computer from craigslist from a guy who said he was some sort of web computer tech or something. I don't think that I can find him again although I suspect that he might have been willing to help me. I assume that he may have loaded ms office from his work industrial account and it appears that it needs to be reregistered or updated with the appropriate code within a couple of weeks. I suspect that I will be out of luck and will just have to find/buy a good copy, but any advise or experience would be appreciated.

And now to the phishing or whatever which at the very beginning of the phone call was slightly believable partly because of the 'not activated' stuff, AND the very unusual thing that happened the day before the call. The computer had spontaneously shut down and the reboot went through a ckdisk listing several errors. Not a great sign but computer is running normally.

Today I received a 'call from windows' (sounds absurd) and that they had shut down my computer and put something on a local server etc (I had not said anything about a shutdown), and would I go to my computer etc. The guy, claiming it would prove his authenticity, gave me a long windows registration number that I could find (showing he was from microsoft). I didn't check. I did ask for a phone number (800 6011921) which they gave me. I googled it and others have received similar calls. The google site was not well monitored but a couple of responses to the posts there said it was phishing.

Since microsoft doesn't call, and the google site claims phishing, I assume that's what it is. But other than coinsidence, does something explain the computer shutdown? Is some virus directly involved?

Comments (6)